Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I just recently switched from celexa 40mg to prozac 20mg. I

I just recently switched from celexa 40mg to prozac 20mg. I used to take the celexa at night before bed, as it would help me fall asleep. The label on the prozac says to take it in the morning. since they are similar, should I take it at night, or follow the label to take it in the morning

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

You can take Prozac in the morning or night, but it is possible that your doctor felt that you would have a more therapeutic dosage of the Prozac in the daytime if you took in the morning.

DoctorZ :

After some time though that therapeutic dosage would be a more constant in your body and would not matter when you took the medicine.

Customer:

many of the other anti-depressants I've taken have made me drowsy, so I feel like this one wouldnt be any different

DoctorZ :

Some individuals become drowzy with the Prozac and prefer to take it at night and other people feel the Prozac keeps them awake. Everyone reacts differently to it. I would say take it at night since other SSRI medications have made you drowzy and most likely that would happen again. But if you feel that the Prozac is keeping you up at night then take it in the morning

Customer:

so it's completely okay to take it in either the morning or night, depending on how I react to it

DoctorZ :

Exactly, there is no difference with taking it in the morning or at night. Like I said some common side effects are keeping people up at night and that is why many individuals take it during the daytime, but it sounds like this will most likely make you drowsy.

Customer:

okay. Thank you for your time!

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help. Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?