Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can you explain schizoaffective disorder - I just read about

Can you explain schizoaffective disorder - I just read about this and want to know how the drug Latuda helps my daughter and also, her Dr said he wants to transfer her to outpatient facility for group therapy? She has been seeing him for years and now he doesn't want to be bothered and said she needs more psychiatrists ??
She doesn't have $5000 co-pymnt for this and does not want to do group therapy, wants individual doctor. I agree, she explained costs to this doctor and said "don't care, go there". She has improved and is
more outgoing and just completed CNA school, very smart. She wants to change psychiatrist. She just discovered with the clinical social worker, who she has visits with
some other issues and feels this lady can be a great help to her, I agree.
I read the symptoms and she does exhibit these but with much improvement on
cognitive level, concentration, better follow thru, etc. and I"m concerned about
this doctor's attitude. Also, I like a second opinion on best way to help her. She can't
afford the #5000 treatment co-pay and its group therapy also.
Please advise and send answer to my emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help your question

DoctorZ :

Unfortunately, this website does not allow for me to email you my answer directly to you, so I will have to post it here for you

DoctorZ :

Schizoaffective Disorder is basically an individual that suffers from the positive symptoms of Schizophrenia (e.g. hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thought process and speech) along with a mood disorder (e.g. depression and bipolar disorder) at the same time.

DoctorZ :

Latuda is a very effective antipsychotic medication that helps to suppress excess dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine, and norepinephrine receptors in the brain as these excesses neurotransmitters are the cause for her symptoms associated with this disorder. Most theories on schizophrenia is that it is mainly caused by an excess amount of certain neurotransmitters, most prominently dopamine.

Customer:

Hi Dr, I know those symptoms for schizophrenia, but they are no longer there with my daughter. She has improved with better logic, cognition, follow thru, and no hallucinations, etc. I believe the drug Latuda

Customer:

helped and her efforts. She went back to school and graduated with A's and is now trying to find work.

DoctorZ :

That is good, it sounds the Latuda was very effective and beneficial for her

Customer:

This doctor helped with this new med but now wants to trfs her to group outpatient and the charge is

Customer:

$5000 co=pay and terms, etc. She can,t afford this and checked out that it is group and she wants a

Customer:

doctor to discuss - this doctor only gives medicine, never has discussions with her. She has been

Customer:

seeing clinical social worker who just discovered possible answers with her on these internal feelings and she wants to work with her, I agree. My daughter is very upset now with this doctor and wants to

Customer:

to go to another psychiatrist and we will start looking on this Monday. She has made tremendous

Customer:

progress but needs this medicine which is very expensive. She went back to school and finished with A

Customer:

for CNA school. I have nursing background and see big improvments, more cognitive, trys to be social

DoctorZ :

Well many psychiatrists in the United States do not provide therapy as much as they used to, so now many patients are seeking psychological counseling from a therapist, psychologist, or a social worker and then also seeing a psychiatrist for their medication management

Customer:

in her classroom she had fun. I saw how very sick she was many, many years ago. I guess I just

Customer:

wanted to hear another opinion. Yes, that is her situation now in this office. She must have her medication- she really likes the clinical social worker and vice versa. I suggested to my daughter

Customer:

We can explore other psychiatrists or request this doctor to continue giving meds and her seeing

Customer:

social worker at least for 6 months or whatever time within that timeframe. She feels hurt when the

Customer:

this doctor said "you need a lot of psychiatrists and go to group therapy:-She said "I can't go into

Customer:

group, this is personal, and I think the social worker can help, I agree, at least try to see results before

Customer:

the long search for new psychiatrist without a long waiting list. She needs to get back to work. Thank you for helping, DrZ. Is there any that specialize in this treatment in CT?

DoctorZ :

It depends on what city and state you live in, but I am sure that there are a number of psychiatrists that can help your daughter. Typically group therapy is not very successful in treating someone with schiozaffective disorder when compared to individual therapy. Here is a hotline for the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) that can help your daughter with a good referral for a better psychiatrist. I can also look online for you, but the NAMI hotline has more resources than I do.

Customer:

Alleluia Dr.Z, I felt exactly that also, and so does my daughter, that group would not help her and

Customer:

she doesn,t want to be there. Now, I can explain to her your expertise will help feel better about

Customer:

a new search which she wants to do, she is disappointed now in this doctor"s attitude. I feel she has

Customer:

tremendous insight, far better than years and years, she has improved and her clinical counselor also agreed. This disorder is a mixed bag of emotions, etc but my girl has developed more insight and

Customer:

maturity, I always say to her, you have come far and look at your accomplishments. Thank you again, its not easy trying to explain. You most definitely have helped identify my and my daughter;s concern

Customer:

on a correct path for individual therapy. I'll say a prayer for you and look up the nami site.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me at anytime.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.