Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Its me again..........a year ago I had to endure a medical

It's me again..........a year ago I had to endure a medical procedure that left me traumatized...............I don't know how to get past the truama...........need help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello, I am so sorry that you endured a trauma during this medical procedure. May I ask what happened?

Customer:

well, I've always been afraid of touch on my tummy cuz of something that happened as a kid.............

Customer:

so, I had to have this procedure that lasted over an hour and it was lots and lots and lots of tummy touch

Customer:

poking and proding and touching

Customer:

it was really scary

Customer:

I'm scared to take care of myself now cuz it involves tummy touch, too

DoctorZ :

So because of what happened to you as a child, you are very sensitive when someone touches your abdomen area.

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

or even me.................I can't touch my tummy without being triggered

DoctorZ :

All of this goes back to your childhood and the hurt that you experienced, so you and your therapist eventually will have to talk about that hurt to help you heal

DoctorZ :

After you heal from that trauma, only then will you be able to touch your stomach again with being scared

Customer:

how does one heal from a trauma like that?

DoctorZ :

It takes a lot of time, I think you have a diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) because of the hurt that you experienced as a child and this is what is causing your symptoms today. There are multiple therapeutic options to help, I use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help change that negative thought process to become more positive and plausible, which will help relieve the symptoms.

Customer:

ok..............so I don't have to have touch there? ..............on my tummy

Customer:

I thought I might have to have lots of tummy touch to be not scared

DoctorZ :

But you said that you have to take care of yourself and that involves "tummy touching"

Customer:

yeah...................I empty my bladder through a hole in my tummy................and I have to touch my tummy to make sure the bladder is empty

Customer:

I only do it when I absolutely have to do it cuz it scares me so much

Customer:

I can't do it like the doctor wants me to

DoctorZ :

I understand your concern, therapy will help you more accept this stomach touching, but it will take time because PTSD is something that is not easily overcome.

DoctorZ :

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more positive and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Customer:

oh, ok

DoctorZ :

Try this technique and see if it helps you lessen your negative thoughts.

Customer:

I'll try it

DoctorZ :

Your negative thoughts is what is driving your fear right now and this technique should help you.

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

May I ask, with your childhood trauma have you ever talked about it with anyone?

Customer:

.........not really

Customer:

I mean, some people kinda know due to things they've seen me do, but I can't really talk about it

DoctorZ :

Well childhood traumas cause a lot of emotions, such as anger, sadness, anxiety, etc... and if you keep that bottled in, it will only grow and get worse. You are taking the right first steps by asking for help, but you will eventually have to talk about it in order to heal, but do it when you are ready

Customer:

like the urologist.............he knows it involved my tummy and that's why I'm scared of tummy touch

Customer:

I know I'll have to talk about it...................I just don't know if I'll ever be ready for ti

Customer:

it

DoctorZ :

It will be scary at first and it will make you anxious at first, but eventually you feel relief because you are caring this burden by yourself and it is overwhelming to you. But wait until you have gotten to know your therapist more and build a trusting relationship

Customer:

oh..........ok......

DoctorZ :

Have you read any good self-help books on PTSD to help you through this?

Customer:

no, I haven't

DoctorZ :

That may be a good start because then you do not have to talk to anyone at this moment, but can explore this by yourself. Would you like some good book recommendations?

Customer:

yes, please

Customer:

thanks

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

nope, not today

DoctorZ :

Okay, well if you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Customer:

thanks

DoctorZ :

I am just happy to help

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

you have

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.