Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

why would a psychiatrist suddenly ask a patient when the wanted

why would a psychiatrist suddenly ask a patient when the wanted to come in again for their next appointment without any discussion and at the end of the session ?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

Just to get some more information, so I can help you better are you seeing this psychiatrist for therapy and medication or just medication?

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Z

Customer:

Both

DoctorZ :

And for how long have you been seeing the psychiatrist for?

Customer:

one year and three months

DoctorZ :

And how regularly do you see your psychiatrist (e.g. once a month, once a week, etc..)?

Customer:

once a week if I don't cancel for a reason - but weekly usually

DoctorZ :

Well most likely the psychiatrist feels that you have a good grasp of your mental health at this moment with the current medications and the techniques and coping mechanisms you learned in therapy, so your psychiatrist feels that you do not have to come for regular appointments as much anymore, but you can see the psychiatrist "as needed" for more maintenance therapy. That would be my assumption, but the psychiatrist should have mentioned this to you during your therapy session

Customer:

Dr. Z,

Customer:

I would assume this is correct, however, I got a little insecure when she just posed it as a question at the end of the session when we do our rescheduling and there was no prior discussing. This truly befuttled me from such a competent therapist......just thought I needed to check it out or do a little reality testing with another professional in the field.

Customer:

Could call this healthy triangulation

DoctorZ :

I understand your concern, and you are right she should have discussed this with you during your session because it is unusual to just bring it up at the end of a session. But this is a good thing, if your psychiatrist feels that you no longer need regular sessions anymore

Customer:

Yes, I believe it is too and I truly appreciate you help - I feel a sense of relief

DoctorZ :

Also you can call and ask her for clarification on what she meant, you are within your rights as a long term patient

Customer:

Yes Dr. Z, I believe you are correct again and this is probably the best approach but I feel anxious and ambivalent about doing this -- obviously you can see I'm not in therapy for flat feet based on this consultation.......

DoctorZ :

No I understand, but my first instinct is that this is what your psychiatrist meant by asking you when you wanted to come in again for another session because I have had that talk with my patients many times, but I usually bring it up during the session to discuss and help ease their anxiety like you are having and reassure them they are doing great and that they do not need regular therapy because individually their mental health skills are strong.

Customer:

I want to thank you Dr.Z for your helpful comments, suggestions, and input. I would use this service again if necessary. Felt like the real deal.......

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

Customer:

All finished.

DoctorZ :

You are more than welcome to ask for me for any future questions or concerns

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service tonight

Customer:

Definitely ------ and the service was exceptional, again thanks