Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have a question with regards XXXXX XXXXX valium. I have been

I have a question with regards XXXXX XXXXX valium. I have been dealing with anxiety for the past 3 weeks. I have had to travel quite a lot, and so have been taking one 5mg tablet every 3 or 4 days. In total I have consumed 45mg over the three weeks, and now I have 15mg left (three tablets). I went to the doctor yesterday and was prescribed propranolol as an alternative. Furthermore, I am starting psychotherapy in four days, I want to control my IBS-related anxiety organically rather than with pills. Is there any risk of withdrawal symptoms after such a short period of use?
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your problem.

Well the answer to your question is No, it is unlikely that you will develop valium withdrawal symptoms and the most plausible explanation behind this is the fact that you have been taking this drug more or less as PRN that is occasionally on an as and when required basis at times of overwhelming anxiety and this pattern of use prevents the drug from reaching steady state levels in your blood thus preventing the possibility of withdrawal syndrome from developing.

Other than this i may add here that your doctor has chosen a good drug in the form of propanolol as it has been quite successful in managing situational anxiety plus it is relatively safer than other drugs used for the same purpose and no withdrawal symptoms are usually associated with it's discontinuation. So basically speaking in colloquial terms you have winner at hand in the form of propanolol which shall work well for your anxiety in the dose range of 10-40 mg/ day , starting at low dose first and then titrate up the dose as per the need.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
धन्यवाद / Thank you!
You're welcome.

Take care.