Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I am not sure how this works but I am going to give it a try.

I am not sure how this works but I am going to give it a try. I read a post where you helped a woman with intrusive music during her pregnancy and this is a symptom I have had on and off for years. I can come on out of no where and last for days or months and then it can be gone for years. Do you think this is a OCD type symptom or stress related?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your question.

Well the intrusive music that comes on and off is unlikely to be OCD because had it been OCD it would have been pervasive in pattern and not occasional as it is seen in your case.

So this intrusive music can either be a psycho-somatic symptom or an auditory hallucination, in both cases it is being precipitated by stress or accumulation of more than one stressors over time in your subconscious mind from where these stressors after getting summed up permeate into your conscious awareness in the form of auditory hallucination such as intrusive music.

I can understand if you find this concept a bit difficult to understand so to make you understand the basic concept i will say that it is either a single episode of overwhelming stress or a summation of more than one accumulated stressors that precipitate this symptom which by the very nature of it's presentation does not fit OCD which shall be taken as a positive.

So in such cases like yours a drug like Cymbalta ( duloxetine ) at dose of 20-60 mg / day taken at night as a single dose or Abilify ( aripiprazole ) at dose of 10-15 mg / day can be used to counter this condition but to ensure a full non-relapsing recovery from this ever so repeating condition you got to take the chosen drug for at at least 3-4 months continuously. Cymbalta is an anti depressant drug which has shown considerable success in such conditions like this while on the other hand abilify is an anti psychotic medication which also is found to counter such a symptom effectively at low doses as mentioned above, so you shall discuss this with your doctor and choose any one of these two options , although i will prefer cymbalta since it has been more tried and tested with good success.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so very much for your reply. This has caused me so much pain and frustration over the years and I get so many different responses from it's a form of OCD to it comes from depression. I have a nice life, family, kids and i work from home as a Graphic Designer. I didnt think it was depression. If anything, I get the intrusive music all day long and after a few days it gives me anxiety and then can lead to depression. I had a very bad year of this and the effexor has helped but not completely with the intrusive music. Some days it is there and some days i cant focus and feel miserable and just want silence. It really makes me feel nuts and no one can really understand. Years ago it started as just an empty thought type of thing. I would say...I just cant stop thinking about it...but nothing in particular, just pulled inside, aware of my thoughts and not living in the moment. It is hard to pin point, other than stress or lack of sleep, how the symptom of intrusive music just starts up and stays all day for months and then it can be completely gone. It robs my quiet time and I sometimes can't even watch tv!!! One episode a few years ago it was a phrase or a word...not a song and that scared me to death! I have no symptoms of OCD that I have read other than this intrusive music. Have you heard of this type of thing before? It seems so hopeless when it is happening and hard to sleep as well! I just wish it would completely go away again. This is the longest it has stuck around.

Yes many people have this sort of condition where in they have intrusive music/ sounds being heard without any ear pathology having been found and i have been successful in managing this condition in my own clinical practice and i must address here that it is stress related best described as Psycho-somatic disorder ( at times the patient is unaware of the stressor as the stressor lies in the subconscious mind) and such a condition responds well to cymbalta at dose of 20-60 mg / day starting at low dose of 20 mg / day at bedtime and then titrating the dose to 60 mg slowly and maintaining on this dose for at least 3-4 months for complete recovery.

So kindly discuss this with your doctor and do the needful and hopefully you will recover fully from this condition with this strategy. You may contact me again on this site after 3 weeks of using cymbalta to discuss the results and future course of action.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. Last question...Did I make is clear that I don't actually hear it like it is playing in another room...I hear it like a song stuck in my head all day...in my owh thoughts?

Yes i know exactly what you are talking about and this is what i have experienced with other patients, so kindly use this drug and come back after 3 weeks of it's non-stop use to discuss your positive outcome.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Doctor. Have a good night and thank you for your excellent service.

You're welcome.

Take care.

Regards.