Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What is the purpose of prescribing OKMH815100

What is the purpose of prescribing Risperidone? How does the medication work?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

Risperidone is an antipsychotic medication and is typically prescribed for individual diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, is also used to help individuals with autism to help manage their aggressive and/or obsessive behaviors, and can be used for older adults diagnosed with dementia to help the manage their any aggressive or manic behaviors they may exhibit.

DoctorZ :

It is designed to help regulate neurotransmitters in your brain to have a positive effect of your mood, and to lessen any perceptual disturbances you may have

DoctorZ :

May I ask why you are asking about the medication? Or what you were diagnosed with to think that medication may or may not be right for you?

DoctorZ :

Oh and to answer your question on how it works, I do not want to go into too much detail to confuse you, but the Risperidone acts as an antagonist for the certain neurotransmitters in your brain, like dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine, and norepinephrine to help improve your symptoms (e.g. an overflow of certain dopamine and serotonin receptors can lead to rage, so by stopping this overflow lessens the aggressive behavior). I can go into more detail if you like, but that is basically what the medication does and how it works.

DoctorZ :

I see that you are offline right now, but when you get back online I would be very interested in continuing this discussion with you, so if you respond in the chat box I will be able to get back to you as soon as possible.