Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Need help. dont know how to tell therapist what happened

Need help. don't know how to tell therapist what happened to me.......any ideas?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

Opening up to your therapist with personal details about your life can be difficult and usually does not happen right away until a building of trust is established in the relationship

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

Can I ask, what exactly are you have having difficulty telling your therapist?

Customer:

I.............got hurt.............when I was a kid

DoctorZ :

Okay and that can be difficult to describe to your therapist, how long have you been with this therapist?

Customer:

couple of times

Customer:

not very long

DoctorZ :

You are right that is not very long, so that trust really has not been established in the relationship, but your therapist is a trusted confident that you can share everything with

DoctorZ :

A first step to help you is to write down the important things you want to discuss in therapy beforehand

Customer:

I want to trust her............I just don't think I can say the words I need to say

DoctorZ :

Do you think you can write down the words?

Customer:

kind of.........I've done that as best I could in my journals but still managed to be very vague

Customer:

I'm scared

DoctorZ :

What are you scared of?

Customer:

having to say exactly the parts that got hurt

Customer:

and how they got hurt

DoctorZ :

That is understandable, therapy is a gradual process, so there is no rush for you to tell the therapist everything. A therapist is meant as guide to help you. You can show your therapist excerpts from your journal that you would like her/him to read and then go from there.

DoctorZ :

There is absolutely no expectation for you to talk about it if you are not ready, it will take time till you are comfortable to talk about it openly

Customer:

so, I don't need to say the words that scare me?

DoctorZ :

No not at all. You definitely do not have to say those words. Maybe one day you will be ready to say those words that scare you, but you do not have to now and no therapist should force you to.

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

You are in a very delicate stage of therapy and you should take baby steps to not overwhelm yourself.

Customer:

yeah

DoctorZ :

I think writing it down or showing your therapist an excerpt in your journal would help you, but only do that when you are ready. You can also ask the therapist how he/she would help a hypothetical patient that had been hurt as a child to get an idea of how therapy would work with this particular issue.

Customer:

ok........thanks

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

.........................no, not right now.......but thanks

DoctorZ :

Well here are some good links that talk about therapy and opening up to a therapist to see if they help you

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at anytime

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

ok..........thanks

Customer:

you did

Customer:

I'm glad for the help

DoctorZ :

I am glad that I was able to help you. Good luck and I wish you the best

Customer:

thanks