Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I want to have my 3 yr old grandson analyzed. Where do I start?

I want to have my 3 yr old grandson analyzed. Where do I start? Symptons: Short attention span, Will not answer a question, seldom sits down, will not sit and play with toys, destructive, discipline does not help, runs off first chance he gets, will not potty train, to mention a few. He is intelligent and very athletic. Runs fast, always climbing. Knows when your not paying attention and will get into what he know he is not supposed to.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

I understand how your grandson's symptoms are causing you concern and that you would like to get him seen by a professional to help him

Customer:

yes

DoctorZ :

A good child psychologist can definitely give him a more in depth evaluation and treatment regimen, and I can help you find one in your area. But I can also do a brief one to give you an idea of what may be going on as well

Customer:

Should I prefer a child psycholigist vs a psychiatrist

DoctorZ :

You mentioned that your grandson does not respond well to discipline and is destructive, is he rebellious towards authority figures or other children, or both?

DoctorZ :

A child psychologist will give you a better and more in-depth evaluation for your grandson, but a child psychiatrist is the only one that can prescribe medications for him if he needs them.

Customer:

Very self centered. will not participate with other children and shys from adults

Customer:

He not rebellious, but stay within himself if other children are there and does not like to be near adults

Customer:

He also talks to himself like he is talking to an imaginary person

DoctorZ :

And when did you first notice this type of behavior?

Customer:

early 2

Customer:

1 1/2 years

Customer:

ago

DoctorZ :

It sounds like you grandson may have a diagnosis of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Here is a link with more detailed information for you.

DoctorZ :

Now a child psychologist can give him a good evaluation and provide him with techniques to help him cope with his symptoms, but he may need to see a child psychiatrist for possible medication

Customer:

Is this a lifetime thing

DoctorZ :

It depends, ADHD has the possibility of resolving on its own when he become a teenager or a young adult, but not always. We do not know the exact causes for ADHD at this time unfortunately so we are not sure of its exact etiology.

Customer:

Does medication have side effects

Customer:

or long term effects

DoctorZ :

All medications have side effects, but usually the severe side effects are rare and the common side effects are not life threatening at all. There are a wide variety of medications to choose from with this disorder if you choose to go that route, but not all children with ADHD require medications.

DoctorZ :

In addition, he also may have a disorder called Aspergers Syndrome, which can account for him not playing with other kids and being shy with adults.

DoctorZ :

If you like I can look in your area to help you find a good child therapist that can evaluate your grandson?

Customer:

So the first professional I seek should be a child psychiatrist in the dover de area. Yes I would like like a referral

DoctorZ :

These are the best child psychiatrists in your area

DoctorZ :

And they should be able to evaluate your grandson well and provide him with a treatment plan

Customer:

One more thing. His Mother was doing drugs, at least Perks during pregnancy. Would this have apossible contribution to the problem with my grandchild and will the psychiatrist want to know this. My wife is always concerned about this and she will state it to the doc even if his mother is in attendance. I just need to know so I know who to get involved with this.

DoctorZ :

The psychiatrist will want to know this definitely as that can have an effect on his behavior, so I would tell the psychiatrist this

Customer:

OK thanks for everything

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.