Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Im a 63 year old male in excellent health generally. I experienced an episode of tra

I'm a 63 year old male in excellent health generally. I experienced an episode of transient global amnesia 3 weeks ago. It lasted for 3 1/2 hours. I've noticed a deterioration in my short term memory since the incident. Will it come back? Do I need further evaluation? Are there any supplements I can take that might help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you experienced an episode of transient global amnesia and are now experiencing the deterioration of short term memory

DoctorZ :

You mentioned you and your general practitioner stopping the use of Statins, is this what your doctor believes is the cause of your amnesia episode?

DoctorZ :

In addition, I would like to ask if you had an MRI after this episode?

Customer:

I had an MRI, a CAT scan, an EKG, an EEG and a carotid ultrasound and was told that the test results were normal. Re: the statins--the neurologist who consulted when I was in the hospital indicated that there are current studies researching a potential link between statin use and cognitive brain function and since I have had other side effects-neuropathy and joint pain-it was my decision to stop taking them. My GP accepted my choice and will help me monitor and explore alternatives

DoctorZ :

Okay that is a good sign that there was no sign of trauma to the brain. Are you experiencing any other symptoms besides the short term memory loss? Loss of concentration, difficulty solving problems, difficulty with visual information?

Customer:

No difficulty with visual information. I had an incident last evening at dinner. My wife and I ran into the friend of our sons who arrived with his girlfriend at the restaurant. After they left I asked my wife if the boys' mother liked the girlfriend, to which she replied yes. I had this moment when I was trying to relate that question to my wife's experience but couldn't determine whether that situation equivalent related to our son or our daughter. I don't know if that makes any sense to you. But I feel like I'm in a fog off and on and when something like that incident happens, I experience some temporary anxiety--like I know this is different and wonder if this will be the new normal. I've always been someone who remembers things.

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you are feeling this way, I can understand how distressing and anxious this is making you. One last question for you, are you having any difficulty completing daily tasks at home, work, or in your leisure time?

Customer:

I would say generally no. I think I'm functioning well in that regard. I do yoga, meditate and exercise daily. I eat well. I have stress in my life--but we all do-and I don't think it is extreme-certainly I've experienced more at other times. These "incidents" I've had kind of just come up on me, then pass-

DoctorZ :

So most likely your short term memory is not due to dementia and should resolve on its own in time because you do not display any early signs of dementia and you do not have any trauma to the brain due to a seizure or head trauma. Now you mentioned having stress in your life and while you do not describe it as bad, but as we get older our body and mind does not respond as well to stress as it used to, so that is one possibility for your short term memory issues and the amnesia episode. You also asked for supplements that may help with your memory, so far only the Omega-3 supplements (Fish Oil) has been shown to help with memory functions as well as daily use of puzzles (crossword puzzles, sudoku, etc...).

DoctorZ :

Still most likely this should pass, if you still feel yourself being getting anxious over this you can try seeing a therapist to help with your anxiety or you can try taking a anti-anxiety medication if that is something you prefer. Anxiety causes cortiosl increase in the brain, which effects the functioning of the hippocampus which controls short term memory, so an increase in anxiety can be prolonging your recovery of this.

Customer:

My GP mentioned fish oil and I will start taking that. Your description of the relationship cycle between the anxiety and the memory is helpful. I'll see a therapist if this does not resolve itself and the anxiety continues. Thank You

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.