Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I believe that I suffer from BDD, is there a confidential and

I believe that I suffer from BDD, is there a confidential and inexpensive way to seek treatment?

Dr. Vikas :

Hello ! Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Vikas (M.D Psychiatry) and I’ll try to help you today.

Dr. Vikas :

Is it possible for you to mention your symptoms?

Customer:

I have very large niples and have had them since high school. I've never been able to afford surgery so I try to hid them with clothing, weight, and not socializing like I would like to. The fear of exposu

Customer:

re is overwhelming sometimes

Dr. Vikas :

I can understand that, you have mentioned that you have BDD, what exactly do you mean by it?

Customer:

I diagnosed myself after watching a t.v. show. I connected BDD with my very large nipples and the negative effect

Dr. Vikas :

and what are the symptoms of BDD, please explain if possible.

Customer:

I'm not sure I can answer that but what I can tell you is that I never do not wear a shirt even when I'm by myself. I want to go to a gym and work out but the fear of exposure petrifies me. I gained a lot of weight to try to hide them but the weight has had detrimental effects on my health. I want to go swimming but cannot out of fear of exposure. I want to wear more stylish comfortable shirts but I can't.

Dr. Vikas :

OK, I can understand your situation.

Dr. Vikas :

So what exactly you are looking for?

Dr. Vikas :

in your case, psychotherapy like Cognitive Behavior therapy can be useful in my view.

Dr. Vikas :

Have you ever tried psychotherapy?

Customer:

I'm looking for relief, I live in Oklahoma and I don't know what to do. I've never tried psychotherapy

Dr. Vikas :

Cognitive Behavior Therapy can bring long lasting benefit in your thinking pattern and the resultant depression and negativity.

Dr. Vikas :

It can help in changing your perception and negative thoughts and may be you will have courage to face the world.

Customer:

wh

Dr. Vikas :

are you interested in trying Cognitive Behavior Therapy?

Customer:

what is my first step

Dr. Vikas :

there are two possible options.

Dr. Vikas :

either you see a psychologist in person for psychotherapy

Dr. Vikas :

second option is to try online Cognitive Behavior therapy via a website

Dr. Vikas :

Online CBT is free and you can try it from your home.

Customer:

okay

Dr. Vikas :

so which one you are interested in?

Customer:

how do I go about doing the online from home

Dr. Vikas :

There are two such website where you can register yourself and start CBT

Dr. Vikas :

I am giving the link below to those websites

Dr. Vikas :

MoodGYM: Welcome

Customer:

which do you recommend? I have never spoken with anyone about this

Dr. Vikas :

just register yourself in any one of these website and hopefully you will see a lot of change in your perception and thoughts.

Dr. Vikas :

both are good, can try any one or both if you like.

Customer:

is the reactions from others imagined or real or both when my chest has been exposed. I just don't feal normal

Dr. Vikas :

I don't think that there is any reason to be ashamed of because of some minute defect in body.

Dr. Vikas :

No one cares about other person or notice any thing until you become self conscious.

Dr. Vikas :

may be you are thinking too much about this defect.

Dr. Vikas :

the only way to find this out is to see what happens once you expose your chest to other people.

Customer:

I'm an intelligent person, I've never thought I've had a reason to be ashamed until I was ridiculed and made fun of when I was younger

Dr. Vikas :

see, no one is perfect in this world.

Dr. Vikas :

everyone has this or that defect. Some are bald, some are short, some are too tall and so on

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Vikas, I will try your recommendation and use the link you sent.

Dr. Vikas :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas :

lastly, I would like to say that please consult your family physician also regarding your weight gain.