TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am 26 and I think I might have Aspergers or ocd or something

I am 26 and I think I might have Aspergers or ocd or something like that I have an appointment with a psychologist but don't know what to say, I have no friends anymore because I struggle to communicate with people sometimes words get repeated or don't fit together properly its hard to describe or sometimes I just don't know what to say, more when there is two or more talking I can talk one to one although I don't like it I don't even talk to my family, I don't like people touching me and have troubble with eye contact i dont like going out drinking or loud places I have problems with food eg. (i peel grapes take all the skin off oranges i dont eat pork it makes me feel dry or the fat on meat I won't eat veg if it is cooked too much and is soft only like sweet things...) patterns bother me like I have to work out the repeat on the wall paper pattern put things in straight lines or in order
as a kid in my last year of primary I was in the (special class) I got some tests done my mum said with a hat full of wires but was told I had dyslexia (while I do, I think that's not right) and was promised help but in high school It never happened so I only ever went to maths science and technology's the rest of the time I went to the library and was just allowed

I have had to work all my life and got good at being a chef I like making things the processes it all being in order and making the plates look the same all the time but there is only about 5 out of 63 that I will talk to does this mean I don't have a problem because i work
Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

The symptoms you describe do sound like Asperger's. OCD may also be a possibility, although with OCD, communication, eye contact and friendships are not usually an issue. That describes Asperger's symptoms more than OCD.

Dyslexia also would not fit the symptoms you describe. Dyslexia causes difficulty with reading and writing, but does not cause the other symptoms you describe.

If you are able to work, that is a good sign that you have learned to cope with the symptoms you have. Until you have an evaluation it is not certain that you do have Asperger's', but if you do, it is very possible you have found work that fits for you and that you are able to manage your symptoms while you are focused on your work. If talking is not necessary at your job, then it may help even more. People with Asperger's often thrive when they are not forced to communicate more than they feel comfortable doing so.

If you do have Asperger's, you can also learn other ways to work with your symptoms so you can cope. Here are some resources to help you:

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Asperger-Syndrome/support-group

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-topic-overview

Therapy can also help you. While talking is difficult, a therapist trained in Asperger's can help you find ways to communicate and connect with others. You may not want to connect that much, but when it is necessary you will be able to find the words you need.

And when you do see the psychologist, try making a list before hand that you can take with you describing your symptoms and how you feel. That can help your psychologist fill in the gaps and better help you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

kate

i used to be better with people when i was younger because i guess i didnt know better it was normal for me i did know i was differant but not why or how is this common or could this be normal for a late diognosis

i was working but have been off sick things feel worse recently my dad got cancer my gran had two strokes and my only friend moved to NZ and with my problems aswell i have found it hard to cope i have been off for 26 weeks and work is trying to visit my house but i am not ready to see them i have given them sick notes can they force me to tell them everything i am not ready to go back yet i need to know why i have my problems

my doctor gave me citalopram for depression thats how i found out about aspergers but now i have sertraline i dont like takilg tablets should i continue or is there somthing better

I'm sorry to hear that you have been through so much. It is not easy to cope with so many things happening at once.

I'm not sure if your employer can force you back to work. Most likely not. You may have some type of disability protection. You may want to ask the psychologist for help with your employer situation. The doctor can do an evaluation and help you find a way to stay home until you can get treatment. You can also consult an attorney for help.

There are alternatives to sertraline. But without knowing your medical history, there is no way to know for sure what would work. Each person has to try out medications to find out what works with their own body chemistry. What works for one person may not work for another. Here is a site that may help you:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medications_depression.htm

Kate

If you feel your original question and related follow ups have been answered, I'd appreciate a positive rating on the answers I have provided. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the tests for Aspergers I found some on the Internet and scored high on them what tests would the phsycologist give me

Can I refuse a home visit and do it on the phone?

*i used to be better with people when i was younger because i guess i didnt know better it was normal for me i did know i was differant but not why or how is this common or could this be normal for a late diognosis or does this mean I don't have a aspergers maybe just a problem?
If you feel your original question has been answered, I'd appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so far. Thank you!

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am going to rate you full is this £14 per question?
You would need to talk to customer service at Just Answer. I am not involved with what they charge you for your question. I only get a share, and that is only when you rate me. Thanks!

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would I have to pay to get a reply after I rated you ?
No you would not.

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you answer my previous questions now I have rated thanks
What psychologists use to diagnose someone varies. But if the psychologist uses a typical evaluation, they should just ask you questions about your childhood, your symptoms and your current issues. That is usually how most therapists diagnose a disorder. Most therapists do not use tests. That is usually found on the internet.

The employment issues you are experiencing might better be addressed either with an attorney or an employment representative. You can also talk to the psychologist about your situation. They might better understand the laws in the U.K.

If you are diagnosed with Asperger's, it most likely was present during your childhood. It may not have been apparent. Also, Asperger's was not as commonly diagnosed 10 or 15 years ago. So your parents and school might not have recognized the symptoms.

I hope this has helped you. Take care,

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help answering my questions I feel a bit better prepared for seeing the psychologist. I got referred nearly three weeks and have left them a message how long does it normally take thanks kate
You're welcome! I'm not sure how long it would take in your area to see someone. Here it can vary depending the psychologist.

My best to you!

Kate