Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am trying to get through some passed trauma. What steps

I am trying to get through some passed trauma. What steps do I take?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When you suffer through a trauma, it can cause you to react in many ways. Many people suffer with depression, anxiety and trust issues. Here are some steps you can take to deal with a trauma:

One, talk about what you suffered through with those you trust. If you feel there is not anyone you can trust, seek therapy. A therapist can be there for you until you can rebuild your relationships and find support through family and friends.

Two, write about what happened to you. The more you express what you feel, the easier it will be to cope with. Use a journal or even just pieces of paper.

Three, let yourself feel what you need to in order to recover. Many people who have been traumatized think they should not express their feelings. But by allowing yourself a day to cry or some time yelling into a pillow, you can get those feelings out and move yourself closer to healing.

Four, share your feelings with others who have experienced a trauma. Seek forums on line through self help. Sharing with those who understand can help you feel less alone.

Five, write a letter to the person or people that hurt you. Be as open as you need to be. Include everything you feel. This is not a letter you will send but rather one you will use to get out all the feelings you have about the person/people that hurt you. Once you are done with the letter, decide if you want to keep it or get rid of it. If you want to keep it, add to it as you need to. If you want to get rid of it, do it in a way that is healing. Symbolize letting go of the past by burning the letter, burying it or some other way that lets you feel better.

Six, celebrate who you are. Make a list of your strengths, focus on what you have come through and how you are a survivor. Ask friends and family to help you see your strengths. This can help you feel stronger and more capable of working through what you feel.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot remember the details of the event or the people involved-can only assume at this point

That would make it very difficult for you to work through what happened. In that case, you may want to start with seeing a therapist, preferably one that is experienced in hypnosis. Hypnosis, contrary to popular belief, is really a collaborative effort between the person and the therapist/hypnotist. The therapist/hypnotist acts as a guide to helping the person achieve their goals, such as finding out more about what happened to you, rather than someone who makes the person do strange things or controls them in some way.

A person who is under hypnosis experiences heightened suggestibility and focused attention. While everyone reacts differently to hypnosis, people have described it as feeling very relaxed, open to suggestion and some are able to hold normal conversations while under hypnosis.

To start with, here is a website that will not only help you understand what hypnosis can do for you, but it also includes resources (on the last page) for finding a hypnotist and information about hypnosis:

http://www.apa.org/topics/hypnosis/media.aspx#

Once you can discover more about what happened to you, the therapist can guide you through the trauma and help you work through it.

You can also try just talking to a therapist to see if you can explore some of your memories to see where it leads. It is always possible that once you feel safe with a therapist, that you can access more of your memories and eventually work through them.

Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.