Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What is the first step in having a child assessed in order to determine if they have Asper

What is the first step in having a child assessed in order to determine if they have Asperger's Syndrome? (What type of doctor should be seen?)

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question.

DoctorZ :

There are two ideal routes that you can go to have a child assessed for possible Asperger's Disorder

DoctorZ :

1. To have a child psychologist evaluate the child or 2. Have a pediatrician examine the child.

Customer:

Hello..I don't believe that my current pediatrician would be a good first option for us..not to sound skeptical, but he is about 70 and I'm not sure how much he knows about Asperger's. Do you have any guidance on how to choose a competent 'child psychologist'? I believe Asperger's is a 'tricky' situation and I want to make sure I go to someone competent in that area.

DoctorZ :

Well a child psychologist that has a specialty in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Testing and Evaluation. Most child psychologists are adept in testing for Asperger's Disorder and Autism related disorders, as these are one of the more common referrals that they see

Customer:

Ok. Thank you very much. I will seek out a child psychologist with that specialty. Your assistance is appreciated.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

Thank you. I believe this was a good first step. I have been putting off 'seeking medical advice' because sometimes, everything seems to be 'fine,' but then my son's (he's 9) quirkiness exhibits itself with a vengeance! :-) He has not had problems in school just yet, but I believe that if he does, indeed, have Asperger's, it may benefit everyone to be aware of it so that we can help him navigate through his life..

DoctorZ :

I agree, an early diagnosis can help your son in the long run and will confirm any concerns that you have regarding his "quirky" behaviors, as you say

Customer:

Ok. Thank you. Good night.