Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hi, Lately I have been diagnosed with mild adult ADD. I

Lately I have been diagnosed with mild adult ADD. I am 37 years of age. To say the truth the specialist that I met in my country was very fast in suggesting medication. I want to avoid to this because of the scary side-effects that it might cause. Cardio tests were done to verify that I am healthy before taking any medication. These proved to be positive but I still want to avoid this since my father died with a heart attack when he was 41. I have a family so I do not want to increase the risks on me with this medication. As time passes by however I realise that the sense of failure in life is increasing. I take too long to finish my tasks at work and I find it very hard to solve problems in a structured way like my colleagues do. I tend to forget quite a lot and I am all the anxious and nervous. Life with my wife is ok though at times I do tend to procrastinate a bit in doing the tasks at home. What do you suggest please? Do you think that phyisical exercise could help since for quite a long time I have stopped from doing any of this. Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I understand your worries for the medication that you were prescribed, but usually the side effects that are severe are usually very rare if you choose to take it.

DoctorZ :

Another option that has had great success in treating Adult ADD is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

DoctorZ :

Physical exercise has been shown to decrease cortisol in the brain, which can increase the symptoms associated with ADD, so exercise is definitely a good option. It can also increase endorphins, which can improve your mood as well, so that is another benefit.

Customer:

Thanks for your reply. If I decide to take medication what would you suggest?

DoctorZ :

Well may I ask what medication you were prescribed, so I can tell you a little bit more about it, like the pros and cons of it

DoctorZ :

Or have you not yet been prescribed medication, only recommended to take medication?

Customer:

I was prescribed ritalin if I'm not mistaken

DoctorZ :

What was the dosage of the Ritalin?

Customer:

Unfortunately I do not remember bit the specialist said that he wanted to experiment with the doses until he finds the right one for me

Customer:

One other reason why I didn't take it was because of fear of addiction

DoctorZ :

Well because you are concerned about the medication, I would ask to start on a low dose. Possibly 10-15mg a day is a good initial dose for a healthy adult.

Customer:

Do you think that I should take it? I was actually thinking of trying exercise to see if I get better.

DoctorZ :

Well Ritalin can be addictive, but only is you really abuse it and take more then the intended dosage. I would get the prescription of the Ritalin, but because you are concerned about it. Why dont you try physical exercise and try to find a therapist that can help you with your symptoms without the use of medications. But if you still find the symptoms troubling, then take the medication and see if it helps you. Ritalin is a safe medication, without many side effects if properly taken

Customer:

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately in my country I didn't find any good specialists since they are all ready to prescribe medication as a remedy. But will continue to look for a good specialist. Thanks I will give you a good rating :0

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.