Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I recently realized that despite me being on meds for bipolar

I recently realized that despite me being on meds for bipolar disorder 1 and not manic or hypomanic, I still tend to be in love with my exbf that my family separated me from (who my family claimed was not good for me and was not compatible for me as he was not all that). The psychiatrists here in my coutry told me that one of the symptoms of my bipolar disorder has been falling in love with this guy.However,I'm kind of doubtful since even when I'm not manic I have been still in love with him. Also, my family locked me up in a psychiatric facility for over a year ihere in my country in order to separate me from my exbf before as they deemed him not good enough for me.They threatened that they would lock me up in that type of facility again should I get back with him. my exbf is living in the US, so I'm wondering if I come live in the US,can my family involuntarily lock me up in a psychiatric ward if I wanted to get back together with my exbf even if he will not pose a direct threat against me?It seemed unfair that here in my country they were able to involuntarily lock me up without me being a direct threat to myself or others.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that you family had you involuntarily committed in a hospital because they wanted to keep you away from your ex-boyfriend

DoctorZ :

In the United States there are three criteria for having someone involuntarily committed. 1) A danger to themselves 2) A danger to others 3) Gravely Disabled (where the individual cannot take care of themselves, like feed, clothe, and shelter)

DoctorZ :

So your family cannot have you involuntarily committed for an extended period of time without proving any one of those criteria in a civil court before a judge.

Customer:

DoctorZ :

Hello

Customer:

Do you think me being in love with the type of guy that my ex-bf was was a sign of bipolar disorder like the psychiatrists in my country claim?

Customer:

I'm kind of doubting my family paid off the psychiatrists here to claim that one of the symptoms of my bipolar disorder was not agreeing to what my family wanted for me.

DoctorZ :

Being in Love is not a sign of Bipolar Disorder. Typically being lustful and promiscuous are signs of impulsivity that are associated with a manic episode. If you feel love for this man while you are stable (not in a manic or depressive episode) then most likely your feelings are genuine. Many individuals with Bipolar Disorder have fallen in love.

DoctorZ :

You as an individual may not agree with what your family wants, that may have nothing to do with Bipolar Disorder. A good medical professional will look for what is in your best interests, not your family's best interests.

Customer:

the thing is not to say things that are bad about my country,but a lot of corruption are going on in every sector of my country

DoctorZ :

That happens in some countries, and I am sorry that you are a victim of that corruption.

Customer:

so maybe the doctors i went to see are corrupt as well

DoctorZ :

It is possible they are corrupt or wrong on the diagnostic criteria as well. Here in the United States, there has been a more evolution to helping and understanding individuals with mental health disorders, rather than just locking them up (The United States used to lock large numbers of individuals with mental health disorders for long periods of time, but not anymore).

Customer:

Thank you.Have a nice day.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help.

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you?

Customer:

No,that's about it:)Thanks:)

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.