Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My dad is hearing voices and screaming loudly back at them.

My dad is hearing voices and screaming loudly back at them. He has been paranoid for the past 5 years since he was forced into retirement at work and refuses to get help on his own. He screams primarily when others are not in the room with him, or he goes in the bathroom and screams. After he comes out of the bathroom, I have approached him and asked him about the screaming. He asked if I heard the voices and I said no, and he said that I cannot help him then. Right after these bouts, his eyes are huge, and he is extremely angry. I do not know what to do and need help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Customer:

How do I do that without being able to get him to willingly go?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have to get a court order, perhaps starting the process at your local department of social services ( different locales have different methods).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He will have to be taken for observation as a possible danger to himself or others.

Customer:

So it does not matter that he has not been violent to me or himself...yet?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It sounds as if he may have schizophrenia.

Customer:

OK I will definitely do that, I will seek the help of social services and explain the situation to them.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He is in desperate need of help, and the proper medication will control his anger and may stop his hallucinations.

Customer:

I was afraid you would say that. I do not have a clear family history, my family is from India and those records are hard to come by, but I have asked my uncles and aunt's and it does not run in the family from what they know.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Schizophrenia can be managed.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It does not have to run in the family to have it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It could be somewhere in the genetic line or could have been caused by other factors.

Customer:

So the next step for me here is to go to social services and attempt to obtain a court order for him to see a doctor?

Customer:

What kind of doctor should he be seeing for this?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Social services or your local county attorney may be able to assist him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He needs to see a psychiatrist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

A psychiatrist can diagnose him AND prescribe the medications that he needs.

Customer:

Does he have to be with me at the local county attorney office? He will not go

Customer:

and what happens WHEN he refuses to take his medicine?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No he does not have to.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If he refuses to take his medicine and his behavior is out of line (dangerous or threatening) then he can be rehospitalized and made to take his medication.

Customer:

I don't want it to come to that. I really want him to be helped, and am fearful that he will hurt himself or someone else.

Customer:

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will speak to the local county attorney tomorrow to figure out what the next steps at this point will be.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are very welcome. I shall keep your father and you in my prayers.

Customer:

One last thing

Customer:

Do you have any advice on how I might approach him with this? How I might get him to willingly go to the doctor?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Tell him that he must go voluntarily to avoid a confrontation that he will not win.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Be reasonable and gentle.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He may not listen to logic, but that is the best approach.

Customer:

Ok thanks a lot for the help, my mom and I really appreciate it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I know that you are having a very difficult time with this. May God protect and help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I find the right people to talk to in terms of the "social services" office you told me to speak to? I live in Concord, California, what is the exact place I need to go to? Should I go to my hospital? He also has the same hospital.

asDear friend,

In California you can go to the police or the district attorney or the sheriff and tell them that you want to file a form 5150 (pronounced fifty-one fifty) to have a 72 involuntary committment made on your father because he is a danger to himself, to you, and to his wife, your mother.

They will lead you throug the process.

Here is some more specific information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_%28Involuntary_psychiatric_hold%29

I hope this helps.

Please remember to give me positive feedback for my assistance.

Thank you so much. May God bless you.

Elliott