TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Im not sure if how Im feeling is normal or not. Im 46 and

I'm not sure if how I'm feeling is normal or not. I'm 46 and have been menopausal since the age of 30, I seem to blame all my mental changes on this.

1. Talk to myself all the time, rehearse conversations.
2. Thoughts race through my mind, have a hard time getting things accomplished. Run in circles. Ultimately get discouraged and depressed over it because I've always been a multi-tasker.
3. Can't find my words to express myself. Frustrated because it makes me feel stupid when I'm not. I know what Im thinking but can't intelligently put it into words. Blank out and stumble over my words.
4. Get stressed and anxious over little things.
5. Wake up with racing senseless thoughts.
6. Have frequent negative thoughts. Create scenarios of something bad happening.
7. I seem to be able to talk myself through all of these things to remain positive. But my intuition is telling me to ask a professional.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Many of the symptoms you describe sound like anxiety. But since you have been menopausal since the age of 30, I recommend you are screened by a doctor first before treating your symptoms as anxiety or any other mental health disorder (I am assuming that you have talked to your doctor but it never hurts to be sure). Since you provided a list of symptoms, it will help to go through them all to give you my impression of each one:

1. Talking to yourself all the time is rarely a sign of any disorder. People who have Schizophrenia might do this in order to address any hallucinations they experience, but you are not describing any of the other symptoms of Schizophrenia so that is more than likely not an issue.

2. If you have gone from a multi tasker to struggling to get things done, that can signal a few different things- stress, anxiety or hormonal issues.

3. Having trouble expressing yourself could also be the same things- stress, anxiety or hormonal issues. It is not uncommon for people as they get older to experience trouble expressing themselves. And if you feel stressed or anxious, that can affect your ability to find your words.

4. If you stressed and anxious over little things, that can indicate that there could be too much going on in your life or that you are worried about what you are doing such as getting it all done.

5. Waking up with racing thoughts is a very common symptom of anxiety. It could be physically based or emotionally based. But it usually says that you are doing a lot of worrying during the day.

6. Negative thoughts and creating scenarios of possible bad events is a sign of anxiety. And just by doing that, you can be causing many of the other symptoms you are experiencing, including waking up with racing thoughts.

7. It is a great idea to not only have your symptoms screened by your doctor, but also by a mental health therapist. A mental health therapist (Master's level or Ph.D) can do a full evaluation and determine exactly what diagnosis you may have, if any. And they can also recommend treatment which most likely would be individual therapy.

You can also address your symptoms through self help. Here are some resources to help you get started:

On line links:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

Learning to relax can also help you calm your thoughts and may increase your ability to communicate and feel less stressed over even small issues. Here is a resource that can help:

More than likely, if you do have an mental health issue, it is a mild anxiety or stress related diagnosis. But just to be sure, having an evaluation done will help.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!