Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My son is 22 years old and has no friends only aquaintances.

My son is 22 years old and has no friends only aquaintances. He is a kind young man and has just graduated from a program for developmentally delayed students. He has run into problems with becoming obsessed with people that he admires. He does not get social cues
and becomes very angry when his father and I try to give him direction. So far people have been kind and have contacted us but he is getting older and we want him to understand his compulsion and how we can help him see how inappropriate it is and potentially dangerous.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son is showing typical symptoms of those with developmental delays. You did not specify if the cause of this was a general developmental delay or was actually classified as being an autism spectrum disorder (such as Asperger's Disorder).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are tried and true methods that you can follow.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me try to cover the field for you by recommending several books. I see you are online now.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does he have a more specific diagnosis?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I saw that you began to type a response but then stopped. Can you be more specific about his diagnosis?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have left the chat but I shall still recommend some books for you.

Dear Lorraine:

Here are the books:

Product Details

Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger Syndrome: A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life by Nancy J. Patrick

and

Product Details

Allow Me: A Guide to Promoting Communication Skills in Adults With Developmental Delays by Irma D. Ruiter

May God bless and protect your family.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC