Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Hi thanks for your help, and I was raised by family who they

Hi thanks for your help, and I was raised by family who they always fight each other and now I am 21 but I feel like I also have a lot of anger like my father. How am I not follow father foot step and become caring lovely person ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

First off you are still young and there is a great probability of success to help manage or redirect your anger in a healthy way because you most likely have caught this very early. So the good news is that this is not permanent

DoctorZ :

May I ask what happens when you get angry (e.g. physical, verbal, physiological, etc..)? And what do you usually get angry about?

Customer:

Sometimes feel like you know I just can not love somebody

Customer:

Also I angry about what father did in the past and The memory raise and It makes me angry

DoctorZ :

So would it be fair to say that you have not entirely forgiven your father for what he did to you?

Customer:

He was humilated a lot and I can not remember one good thing he did us

Customer:

I try to forgive him and be nice to him but It is not working

DoctorZ :

Well I think is a natural reaction for what he did to you

DoctorZ :

Forgiveness is a big step, but it helps release the anger that you have for him

Customer:

Honestly my relationship with mother is also not good, and everytime I try to have relationship it is not working

Customer:

I raised by grandparents till 7,8 years old

DoctorZ :

When you try to have a relationship with someone else, do you get angry at that person too?

Customer:

Then I moved to my parents Is it can be factor that not good relationship with parents?

DoctorZ :

Of course it can. The relationship with your parents is the first relationship you have ever had and if that is an unhealthy relationship it can impact your future relationships

Customer:

Now I am 21 and I really want to have good relationship with father, He is getting older and you know

Customer:

I think so

DoctorZ :

Well to start to have a healthy relationship with your father, you will have to forgive him.

Customer:

How to do it ?

DoctorZ :

Here are some links to some therapeutic techniques I have used with patients to help them forgive and move on.

Customer:

Thanks a lot

DoctorZ :

It is a start, but always remember anger is a natural emotion, it is just how we express it that can be healthy or unhealthy

Customer:

What is healthy way

Customer:

?

DoctorZ :

Well for instance lets say someone makes you mad because they said something mean. Instead of yelling at the person, tell them, "Hey that was not a very nice comment and it hurt my feelings, why did you say that?"

DoctorZ :

This opens up a dialogue, and you were assertive by telling the other person that you were angry and upset

DoctorZ :

Here is a good technique I use often with patients called Anger Decision sheet

DoctorZ :

Here you put the trigger of what makes you angry and you can choose to let it go or be assertive in and express your anger in a healthy way

Customer:

Got it, Also my mother told me everyday that how bad is your father and he cheated me a lot etc in my teenage years

DoctorZ :

I am sorry that happened to her. Obviously your father has a lot of demons that he has to confront, but he can change also, he just has to make the effort to change

Customer:

Actually My father is successful businessman and he cheated my mother a lot, Then mother told me about this kind of thing a lot

DoctorZ :

Well he may be good at business, but obviously he was not as successful in his relationship with your mother and at raising you from what you told me.

Customer:

Yeah he is terrible father and husband

DoctorZ :

I am sorry. So may I ask why do you want to try to resume a relationship with him if he was so terrible?

Customer:

Actually Funny thing is my mother is 43 but she do not have any friends and social life

Customer:

I think cause of financial situation

Customer:

I talked about this to my mother and she told me that she can not divorce cause of my 2 younger brothers

DoctorZ :

I understand that. Your mother is definitely sacrificing a lot to keep the family together and help raise your two younger brothers

Customer:

I agree completely

DoctorZ :

Well I think you are taking the right steps to help control your anger so that you are not like your father as you get older

DoctorZ :

Have you also considered going into therapy as well?

Customer:

Maybe

DoctorZ :

Well I think right now I would try those techniques to see if they help you, but if you feel that your anger is too much, then therapy may be beneficial for you in the future.

Customer:

So my father is not changing, what is the best solution for me ?

Customer:

I want to have good relationship with my girlfriend but my family situation not allow this

DoctorZ :

Well just because he is not changing, you can still forgive him and release your anger from him and move on from that anger. You can gain control of your anger through this and develop a good relationship with your girlfriend

Customer:

Actually the thing is my anger is not that bad unless with my father

DoctorZ :

Yes your father is the trigger of your anger. Remember that decision sheet I gave you. You can let it go or be assertive and express your anger in a healthy and acceptable way towards your father

Customer:

I just need parents that care and love each other you know but my fathers sexual misconduct ruin my family

Customer:

He hide his phone for almost 7,8 years and he gave his phone to driver for charging

DoctorZ :

That is your father's choice, you cannot really change him, only he can do that. But you can decide to not let it effect you and your relationships.

DoctorZ :

You can tell him that what he is doing is hurting your family, but ultimately the decision will be on him to change

Customer:

Other than his sex problem actually He is good guy

DoctorZ :

Well infidelity is a big problem in a marriage, but he can change if he decided to

Customer:

You know, Like asian for us culture is different

Customer:

From western family

DoctorZ :

I understand that, and there may be another approach you can take with your father, but ultimately you will have to forgive him and let go of that anger you have for him

Customer:

One more thing is father has daughter, who raised other mother

Customer:

She is 2 years younger than me

Customer:

we chatting and understand each other

Customer:

Ok thats very good advice

DoctorZ :

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your half-sister, that is a good thing

Customer:

Firstly I let go anger towards him the talk about this to him

Customer:

It will help me to have better conversation

Customer:

This is what you mean right

Customer:

Actually you helped me a lot

DoctorZ :

You can decide to let it go or to be assertive and tell him why you are angry, ad that will also help you release the anger you have for him. So yes that is what I mean

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can do to assist you today?

Customer:

Just 1 more thing, I have good relationship with my half sister and It will hurt my mother feelings

Customer:

What do you think about it ?

DoctorZ :

Why does it hurt your mother's feelings?

Customer:

Cause my half sister called my mother and told her to die and bad things

Customer:

Because of that, My mother do not like her you know How am I balance these relationship ?

Customer:

I do not want to hurt both

DoctorZ :

Well I understand your mother's negative feelings towards your half-sister and while that is not a nice thing to say to your mother at all, it should not impact your relationship with your half-sister. And you can tell your mother that you are not going to take sides and pull the family more a part, instead you want to help the family be closer together and you see this as a way of mending fences and building bridges for the family

Customer:

Yeah thats is excatly what I want to be my family, care and love each other thats all

DoctorZ :

Then tell your mother that, hopefully she will understand and respect that view point of yours

Customer:

You helped me a lot, Show me way and thanks I will contact you later you know how is progress

Customer:

with relationships

DoctorZ :

Sure, you are more than welcome to contact me at anytime if you have any questions or concerns

Customer:

How to contact you later ?

DoctorZ :

You can contact me by saying the beginning of your question "For DoctorZ" so this makes sure that you want to talk to me and not another expert

Customer:

I feel like throw big stone from my heart

Customer:

so reveiled

DoctorZ :

I am very happy that I helped you today

Customer:

Ok got it see you later

DoctorZ :

Good luck and I wish you and your family the best

Customer:

Thank you very much

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.