Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

How effective is Lamictal at treating depression and anxie

How effective is Lamictal at treating depression and anxiety?

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your question

DoctorZ :

Lamictal was originally developed as an anticonvulsant medication. Later it was determined that Lamictal was also effective to treat the depressive episodes that are seen for individuals diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder

DoctorZ :

So to answer your question, yes Lamictal can be used to treat depressive symptoms and is very effective at it. If your anxiety is associated with your depression then it will also be effective in treating your anxiety as well

DoctorZ :

Depression and Anxiety are often linked (52-56 percent of the time they are comorbid disorders), which is why I mentioned if the anxiety was linked to your depression

DoctorZ :

May I ask though why you are not prescribed a SSRI antidepressant or and SNRI antidepressant as these medications have a longer history of effectively treating depression and anxiety?

Customer:

I have been on Effexor, paxil and zoloft. They treated the despression but "sat on my peronality" I didn't feel human while taking them. The Lamictial has been doing a good job but I hit a bit of a road bump and exeperienced a lot of anxiety. Not sure to up the Lamictil or add something else, My current dose is 150mg.

DoctorZ :

Well Lamictal is not officially prescribed for anxiety, but I have known individuals that had lessened anxiety while on the Lamictal. How long have you been on the Lamictal for?

Customer:

About 6 months. Done very well but had some unexpected events/issues come up and my depression took a bit of a turn town and my anxiety was pretty high. Trying not to be anxious about the anxiety.Just don't know if an increase in the Lamictal would be helpful for treating both depression and anxiety, or if something else needs to be addressed.

DoctorZ :

Well the increase in lamictal can help with your depression and that may help with your anxiety. But have you considered a benzodiazepine in the short term for your anxiety

DoctorZ :

In addition, Lamictal has been associated with a side effect of increased anxiety, but usually this is temporary although in you case it may be the cause of your anxiety

DoctorZ :

I see that you are offline right now, but if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime and I will do my best to respond to you as promptly as possible.