Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist
63993671

my son is smoking weed on a daily basis it started off as a

my son is smoking weed on a daily basis it started off as a once a week thing now he doesn't go to school because he is tired in the morning and he is doing Yr 12 when I confront him that this smoking is now dictating his everyday life. I don't know where to go to get him help before he gets addicted to anything else.

Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

I'm sorry your son has chosen to get high versus get on with life.

Dr. L :

I can understand your concern here. His behavior is certainly not healthy for a young person.

Dr. L :

And his disinterest in life is a problem.

Dr. L :

Have you considered treatment?

Customer:

My husband and I will be talking to him tonight about getting him some help but I don't know what is the next step?

Dr. L :

The next step is to find a treatment center near you and to be firm in saying that he is jeopardizing his health and future.

Dr. L :

You've done the right thing by not giving him money.

Dr. L :

Now the next step is to get him into treatment so that he has a chance to get clean.

Customer:

Do I need to get a doctors referral for attending a treatment centre?

Dr. L :

He is likely to minimize his addiction...but that's where you can get some help from the treatment center in how to talk to him and how to present your position.

Dr. L :

You need to take a zero tolerance position as to his drug use...that is, no drugs in our home. Period.

Dr. L :

No. Most treatment centers do not require a referral.

Dr. L :

When you call around to check on various treatment centers, they can tell you what you will need to get him enrolled and if insurance will pay.

Dr. L :

I also encourage you and your husband to get yourself educated about marijuana. Your son will likely try to convince you that he doesn't have a problem, that weed does not lead to other drug use...so be ready to be firm in your decision that the drug use ends and he gets help.

Customer:

I already got that speach from him that it's all harmless..ok I will now look for somewhere do you have any recommendations in Sydney?

Dr. L :

give me a minute to check...

Customer:

ok..

Dr. L :

take a look at St.Vincentshttp://www.stvincents.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=405&Itemid=473

Dr. L :

St. Vincent's program seems good...

Dr. L :

Do you know this hospital?

Customer:

before I go.. as I am at work please tell me how do I approach him when he gets all agro at me which is they way he reacts when I confront him...and yes I know St Vincents..

Dr. L :

You say to him:

Dr. L :

When you act like that it makes it very clear that you are not in control of your life.

Dr. L :

I can see your anger. I can see that you think we don

Dr. L :

*don't

Dr. L :

know what we are talking about.

Dr. L :

But the fact is that we want you to live a healthy life and you are not doing that right now.

Dr. L :

You can be angry with us. And we can be angry at you for wasting your life.

Dr. L :

We would like to move from anger to healing.

Dr. L :

How do you feel about those words? Do you think you can say something like that?

Customer:

Yes we can sounds good.. we have 5 children and he is the youngest and comes from a good home and it breaks my heart that he is going through this because he is loved by so many people. Thank you for help you have given me some strenght and a little wisdom so that I can tackle this...thanks Vesna:)

Dr. L :

Vesna...I'm so sorry. Remember that your son has made a "choice" and that means that he can made a different choice...one that is healthy and is life giving!

Dr. L :

It sounds to me that treatment is your best option.

Dr. L :

Stay positive!

Dr. L :

Stay firm! As you know, kids need boundaries and limits.

Customer:

Will do thank you:)