Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have been drinking white wine every night for about 15 years.

Customer Question

I have been drinking white wine every night for about 15 years. I drink between two to three glasses to a bottle of wine a night. I would like to switch over to red wine immediately because I read it is healthier and then start to ween myself off wine slowly over the next few months. Is this safe? And is it safe to change from white to red immediately?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is safe to change from white wine to red wine. There is little difference except for the type of grapes used. Though you may want to talk to your doctor first, as a drug and alcohol counselor I have never heard of any issue when someone has switched the types of wine they drink.

What is of concern is the amount you are drinking. That is more harmful to you than switching the type of wine. It's good that you are working on quitting or at least reducing your alcohol intake. That will improve your health and your overall mood since alcohol is a depressant.

As you work on reducing the amount you drink, try to find supports to help you if you feel you cannot reduce the alcohol on your own. There are numerous ways to get support from AA, sponsors to therapy. You can also find a lot of support on line through support groups. Any way you choose, you are doing the right thing by reducing your use.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

My best to you,
Kate