Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I need to find a depression support group. Please.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

Are you looking for a depression support group in person or online?

Customer:

I would prefer in person, because online will only hinder me.

Customer:

I just can't take this anymore. I'm so tired of being tired.

DoctorZ :

That makes sense. And do you want a support group, which is usually self-led by the members of the group, or a group therapy, which is usually led by a therapist (or two)? Some individuals do not know the difference between the two and I just wanted to ask to point it out.

DoctorZ :

I understand that is why I am going to help you find the right type of group for you in your area

DoctorZ :

And lastly what is your zip code?

Customer:

32773

Customer:

I think maybe I want something lead by a therapist.

DoctorZ :

Okay so a group therapy, give me a second to find a few for you in your area

Customer:

Ok thank you.

Customer:

May I ask another question?

DoctorZ :

Of course, I am here to help you. You can ask as many questions as you like

DoctorZ :

Here is one link by the way for a group therapy in your area

Customer:

Sometimes I feel like my doctors aren't there to help me, like they don't understand.

DoctorZ :

Can you explain it to me a little more, so I can understand.

Customer:

Maybe I'm just a little out of sorts, but sometimes I feel like they look at me and everyone as a drug seeker.

Customer:

and I just want help.

Customer:

which is weird because I don't think anti-depressants were on the drug market.

DoctorZ :

So you feel that they prejudge you and do not listen to your actual issues?

Customer:

They seem to be like "lets wait and see"

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

*are

DoctorZ :

That is unfortunate. So what do you tell the doctors exactly?

Customer:

Well I get nervous and forget to tell them everything

Customer:

I tell them that I feel frozen when the anxiety hits

Customer:

I answer their questions truthfully

Customer:

and when Panic sets in I tell them what I can remeber

Customer:

but I forget to tell them how it feels like my throat is closing up and it's hard to breath...

DoctorZ :

It definitely sounds like a panic attack. So this is actually not an uncommon reaction when seeing the doctor. This helps me, writing down all the things you want to ask the doctor before going to the doctor

Customer:

I tell them I don't like to go out because I'm afraid of a panic attack and it's actually happened

DoctorZ :

Do you know of any relaxation techniques to help you during these attacks? Like deep breathing for instance?

Customer:

so it starts to feel like I'm not being taken seriously and I'm just asking for drugs or something

Customer:

I do, and I've tried them

Customer:

but I've had a panic attack for at least 3 hours. I've also woken up in a panic attack.

DoctorZ :

And they do not work for you. If they do not work, then it does sound like medications would be the next step to help, so you are not out of line to ask your doctor for medications

Customer:

ok

Customer:

my new doc said if the techniques don't work, to tell him on our 1 month check up

Customer:

thank you. I've felt like I was crazy and like I shouldn't ask for medication.

Customer:

especially because I live in FL

DoctorZ :

No if the attacks are that severe, then medications are usually recommended to give you more comfort

Customer:

thank you. I just want to be normal.

DoctorZ :

By the way, that link I gave you is the only depression group therapy that is being advertised in your zip code. The other depression group was for post-partum mothers and teens.

DoctorZ :

I understand, and you deserve to feel normal and like your self.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Customer:

yeah this area seems to have a need.

Customer:

Hopefully when I'm better I can help change that.

DoctorZ :

Would you like a link to some other relaxation techniques to see if they may help you?

Customer:

Yes please.

DoctorZ :

Hopefully these will help till your next visit with the doctor

Customer:

thank you. for understanding. It just always feels like nobody understands.

Customer:

thank you.

Customer:

thank you so much.

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

I think I'm good. and thank you. really thank you.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, i am always happy to help.

Customer:

good night.

DoctorZ :

If you have any future questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

DoctorZ :

Good night and good luck

Customer:

Ok I think I will.

Customer:

thank you.

DoctorZ :

Anytime, it was my pleasure to help you this evening.

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.