TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Can your therapist just stop treating you withoutgiving a 30

Can your therapist just stop treating you withoutgiving a 30 day period for you to find other care
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Your therapist can stop seeing you and not provide a 30 day notice, but it is unusual to not tell you why and to not allow you the time to work out any issues you had been working on with them. So while it is possible to do what your therapist did, it is unusual and can hurt your ability to trust your therapist or any other therapist you have in the future.

It also should be considered why your therapist ended therapy with you. If your therapist is ill, needs surgery (long term recovery for example), or has a scheduling conflict they cannot work out, that might make this understandable. But if they are doing it for other reasons, that is not being considerate of you.

If possible, try to talk with your therapist about the situation. See if it is possible to work out a better end time than just 30 days. If not, then you can decide to either stop seeing your therapist now, or finish out the rest of the time and find someone else to see. You can also ask for recommendations or even help from your therapist to get in to see someone else more quickly because of the circumstances.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!