TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

My son has ADHD, I am seeking to modify a court order to give

My son has ADHD, I am seeking to modify a court order to give me alternating weekends with my son, but father states that if we change our sons weekend schedule it will effect his academic progress. I have been his sole caregiver since birth, and he is with me monday-friday and dad on weekends. My question is, can a small change such as this really have a negative impact on our son.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your son has a positive relationship with his father and both you and his father get along, it is likely that this change would not affect him. However, if your son's father makes this a negative experience for your son, it could affect him academically. So the more positive the interaction your son has with either of you, the better his chances academically. It is not a matter of how much your son sees each of you as it is how each of you present this to your son and how you react about it when you are with him.

Your son may be more sensitive to changes because of his ADHD which may cause him to react somewhat to any change in general. But as long as he feels loved and you and his father get along, it can be a good change for him.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

My best to you and your family,

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful and hopefully it will help me with getting some quality time with my son.

How important is our sons relationship with me, his brother and my side of his family to his emotional and social development.

Your son's relationship with you and his father is vitally important to his development. His relationship with other family members such as siblings is as well, just to a slightly less significance. As long as both you and his father put him first and love and care for him, he will develop normally.

Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

You're welcome! Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I express that alternating weekends will be beneficial to our sons development

Hello, it's nice to hear from you.

I'm happy to help you with your new question. However, Just Answer prefers that you open a new question page for new questions. This ensures that you get the best possible answers to your questions. You can always request my help if you wish to by putting "Kate" in front of your new question. That way, it is referred to me.

Thank you,

Kate