TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have a history of depression. i only seen someone when i

Customer Question

I have a history of depression. i only seen someone when i was 17. they said my depression seemed to start at age 8. I self harmed a lot and struggled and still do struggle with food. i could only see them for a year as the people i seen only do up to 18. i was aware of this and with everything that has happened and still currently happening gave me no hope. my question today is am i bipolar. i have typed symptoms in and it has came up and i have done the goldberg screening test which came at 52 and another screen test on the pshych centre website. one thing i hate is mood swings. 1 day i could be completely "high" like nothing can touch me nothing can hurt me, and i would do stupid reckless things that are dangerous but at the time i dont seem to see that. someone could hit me and i'd be like your loss and i would walk away and not think anything of it. the next day however i can be in tears like ive been depressed for months
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you might have Bipolar disorder, possibly Type II. That is because you are having periods of extreme highs and periods of extreme lows. You need at least one of those to qualify for Bipolar, Type II. Type I Bipolar only requires that you experience the extreme high. You can have depression, but it is usually not that severe and may not happen at all. And Cyclothymia is mild highs and mild lows.

But without knowing what type of Bipolar you have it is important to be evaluated in a face to face with a therapist or psychiatrist. No one is going to be able to evaluate you on line because it is not as accurate.

If you do have Bipolar, medication is the best treatment. The most prescribed medications for Bipolar is Lithium. You can also take Depakote as well. Medication helps to stabilize the brain chemicals that are causing the Bipolar to occur. Also, therapy helps you cope with the mood swings and in monitoring your medication to be sure it is working well.

There are other things you can do to help yourself. Here are some links to help you: .htm

Also, consider support groups either on line or in person. Talking to others who have the same symptoms as you can help you feel less alone and provide much needed support.

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!