DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Mental Health Expert

Hi, I take symbyax for treatment resistant depression and

Hi, I take symbyax for treatment resistant depression and I think my depression is worst since I'm on this treatment. 2 years ago this treatment worked very Well for me but Now That I'm beginning this treatment again I think it makes my depression worst. I have no motivation at all with this treatment this Time. Is it possible That dosen't work even if it worked very Well the first Time?

Also I have to mention that before I began symbyax, I've been taking zyprexa alone 3.75 mg for sleep. And, the moment I began to sleep with zyprexa I became severly depressed. so my doctor put me on symbyax but I think the zyprexa is getting me very very depressed. Maybe zyprexa blocked my dopamine too much?? Is it possible??

Is it possible that the 2 months I've been taking zyprexa alone for sleep made me very unmotivated and depressed (is it possible that zyprexa has blocked my dopamine too much??) and now that symbyax can't do his job??

Thank you,

Hi Caroline.

Thanks for this excellent question

I'm sorry about this problem

There are a few questions here so let me address them one by one

1)It is definitely possible that it doesn't work now if it worked before. this often happens. Circumstances change, people change and brain chemistries change

2)Yes, the zyprexa could be causing this. That would also explain why you are not responding positively to symbyax. I would have tried stopping the zyprexa first.

3)Yes, plus the interaction between the two is not desirable. Symbyax and zyprexa should not be used together.

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you vert much for your Answer. But for the 3rd question I would Like to spécify That I don't take zyprexa right now. I just take symbyax.

Thank you for that clarification.

I think the other parts of my answer hold true except for the interaction

I'm sorry for that confusion
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if you were me, you would change my médication? But symbyax Is not suppose to increase dopamine?

Maybye the fact That I used zyprexa alone for two months before decrase my dopamine? Should I change symbyax for another medication or should i wait...
Thanks Caroline

I would ask for it to be changed

It is clearly not only helping you but potentially harming you

That is a very good thought about zyprexa. I would change it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much you understand very Well my problem. Thank you for your advice. I also think it's dangerous for me right now. I Will ask my doctor to change it but I'm afraid I Will have insomnia again... Even if I take 0.5 clonazepam And seroquel 25 mg. Web try to increase the dosage but I can't support it, I get very depressed. I don't know what to do about it. Sleep Is very important.
Thanks Caroline and you're welcome for the advice

Ask your doctor about taking melatonin 3mg per day.

This is a natural supplement that can help with sleep.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you very much for your advice.
you're welcome.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)