Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

eversince i was a teenager, i would expeirence insecurity from

eversince i was a teenager, i would expeirence insecurity from someone. it would be a friend, and then my siblings, co-workers, and now my children. My instinct before was just to get away or not be part of their life but now, I'm experiencing it in my own home with kids who are 17,10 & 7 years old. i have been struggling with this for 6 months now. i know i need help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern regarding your insecurity

DoctorZ :

May I ask are there particular areas that you are more insecure about?

Customer:

feelings of being loved & important.

DoctorZ :

And this insecurity of feeling loved and important has been consistent since you were a teenager?

Customer:

yes, maybe when i was even younger. I was a middle child. My parents especially my momdid not pay that much attention to me. she focused more on my older sister. i wasn

Customer:

I wasn't paid much attention to. my needs as a child was not met. i practically, had to do & learn things by myself

DoctorZ :

So in regards XXXXX XXXXX present you would like to be acknowledged as someone who is important and needed by others, you would like others to give you attention

DoctorZ :

What thoughts do you have when you are going through an insecure moment? If it is possible, you can also provide an example too

Customer:

i guess. right now, i dont really have that much friends & i am so bored.My real concern is my home life. I love my children but everytime i get home from work or wake up in the morning, my feelings of emptiness & wanting to get away would just overwhelm me. I dont look forward to day-offs because that would mean, i would be home & this heavy feeling would be all over me. Thoughts that i have when i feel this -- wanting to end it all, hopelessness, anger, loneliness, no way out.

DoctorZ :

And what about if you do activities that you find enjoyable, does it help make you feel better or are they not as enjoyable as they used to be?

Customer:

yes, i should be doing that but right now we're having financial difficulties that's why i couldn't really move

DoctorZ :

Oh okay, so the financial difficulties are probably not helping you either. Physically how do you feel, are you sleeping and eating normally?

Customer:

thank God I am. I had depression 5 years ago. i couldn't eat or sleep fro 3 mons. that's why i had zoloft before which helped but not now.

DoctorZ :

But you are not taking the Zoloft anymore is that correct?

Customer:

yes

DoctorZ :

Well it sounds to me that you may have something called Dysthymia, this is like a major depressive disorder, but without many of the physical symptoms like sleep and eating disturbances. Some therapists consider Dysthymia to be a "minor depression," but it is not at all.

DoctorZ :

Now another anti-depressant may work for you regarding this, but I understand that you did not like the side effects of the Zoloft. There are other anti-depressant medications that may work for you without those side effects

Customer:

what are they and can u give me a prescription

DoctorZ :

I personally cannot give a prescription over the internet, no psychiatrist or medical doctor can either. Other antidepressant medications are Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, and there are many others. Here is a link with a comprehensive list of antidepressants.

DoctorZ :

Also are you currently in therapy at all?

Customer:

no im not. im trying to scout around. which therapist should i go to

DoctorZ :

I would recommend a therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Because negative thinking is commonly associated with a depressive disorder and this thinking can enhance the severity and duration of the symptoms. Now in CBT, it will gradually change your thinking to be more positive which will lessen the severity of your symptoms that are associated with the depressive disorder.

DoctorZ :

So this link may help you too, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more positive and plausible). This will help you change you way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

Customer:

ok. i'l look for one & i will get into that site too. I hope I will get better soon. I want to feel whole and happy again

DoctorZ :

It will take some time, but I am confident with therapy and a good anti-depressant (that wont cause you any troublesome side effects), you will have your best chance of feeling whole and happy again

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

that's all for now. thank you so much and have a good day

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me anytime

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

ok. how do i do that?

DoctorZ :

In any future questions, you can say "I only want DoctorZ" this will make sure that I am the only one to respond to you

Customer:

ok. thanks so much again

DoctorZ :

Anytime, good luck and I hope you feel better soon

DoctorZ :

Before you sign off though, I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much

Customer:

ok thank u doctor

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.