Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can Ritalin be taken for Bipolar depression and ADD? If so,

Can Ritalin be taken for Bipolar depression and ADD? If so, what should the dosage be?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern regarding the Ritalin use for Bipolar Depression and ADD

DoctorZ :

Ritalin is not typically used Bipolar Depression, but it can be an off label use for stubborn Bipolar Depression.

DoctorZ :

Now are you on any other psychotropic medications or just the Ritalin?

Customer:

no ritalin yet. am wanting to for sever bipolar depression and add. i am taking lamictal 300 mg and lithium 450 mg.

Customer:

oh and lauda 40 mg

Customer:

latuda

DoctorZ :

Well studies have shown that Ritalin is helpful for individuals with Bipolar Depression, and if the other medications you are using are not effective then this can be an option for you

DoctorZ :

Typically a psychiatrist would want to go slow at first to have you get used to the medication, normally 5mg of Ritalin twice a day

Customer:

can you estimate the beginning dose. can the 10 mg ritalin be cut in half?

DoctorZ :

Well like I said a typical beginning dose is usually 5mg of Ritaline twice a day

DoctorZ :

And then it can be increased gradually till you get the desired effects

DoctorZ :

Typically I have not seen it greater then 20mg twice a day

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have you send you send an email? like i asked do you know if the 10 mg can be cut ih half?

Customer:

send me

DoctorZ :

I am not allowed to send emails, it is one of the website policies

DoctorZ :

Now when you mean the 10mg cut in half, like taking 5mg at one point in the day and another 5mg at another point in the day?

Customer:

hello?

DoctorZ :

Yes I am still here

Customer:

hello?

DoctorZ :

Are you having difficulties seeing my chats?

DoctorZ :

Are you still having difficulties seeing my chat responses?

Customer:

hello?

DoctorZ :

I am still here, but I surmise that you are having difficulty seeing my responses, so I am going to refer this technical services

Customer:

do you know if the 10mg of Ritalin be broken in half?

DoctorZ :

Yes the 10mg tablet can be broken in half, but I do recommend asking your physician for the 5mg tablets instead if you want to break your 10mg tablets in half

DoctorZ :

But to answer your question there is no problem with breaking the 10mg tablets in half

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.