Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on the

Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on the following issue.I have a problem with the landlord's daughter since I rent the flat 3 months ago.She is 30 and has just been through a divorce.But her behavior is weird.She was supposed to give me the keys to the front gate when they put a locket in.The gate could be forced in using a lot of manual strength and that is what I did since I did not know about the key and it was weird to me that I could not get out the front gate.When I was forcing it the landlord's daughter was looking from the balcony and laughing -looking directly at me so I could see her.After 4 days I asked her mother and complained about not getting inside the house; the mother was furious:She had instructed her daughter to give me the keys the first day.Instead her daughter was looking at me and laughing!Another time the daughter called my name for the electricity bill and I started talking to her trying to make eye contact (I was in the garden).It was as if her voice was coming from nowhere.When I looked I was startled. She was looking at me from behind the curtains of the basement she saw I was trying to make eye contact but instead she giggled and continued from behind the curtains.Further more she started going for a walk the time I got my dog for a walk.I deliberately changed time schedules and she changed her too.She started cleaning the front porch the same time I do.When I moved in the house she never cleaned the front porch-her mother did.And the weirdest thing is that i found her looking inside my house through my windows of the back of the house.After that I keep the curtains closed at all times.Today I found her peeping in through my front window.I had parked my car far away and she probably thought I was not there.I was catching my breath; the window was open and the only thing between us was the curtains!
When she sees me walking by she looks at me top to bottom and says "hey"with a sort of arrogant tone only if I first say hi .She has asked me once if I go to the gym and was getting into my life but I gave excuses so as to leave.Now I am dating someone and I was sitting in the garden with him.And there she came sitting in the other part of the garden looking at my boyfriend and sitting in the same peculiar way I was sitting(I had fallen and hurt my hip). She also kind of flirts with my boyfriend when she sees him it is the only time she says hi to me first and the only time she really smiles to me...
I sometimes find it funny but other times it freaks me out.I do not want to find another place to leave;the rent is really cheap and the place nice and near my school.Is this kind of person harmless or this going to climax?Also do I have a problem for noticing this?I talked to a friend and she said:Just ignore her...Talking to her is out of the question I doubt she will admit doing this staff...Should I just ignore her?Should I say hi when she passes by?What should I do?

DoctorZ :

Hi I believe I can help you with your concern regarding the landlord's daughter's behavior

DoctorZ :

Can I ask you have you seen any of her friends come by or if she has any friends at all?

Customer:

She has no friends at all!

DoctorZ :

That is probably why she has attached her self to you, but it sounds like she has social awkwardness and does not know how to interact with another female

Customer:

Her mother told me she went some rough times through the divorce.But still she is being so mean..

DoctorZ :

I would not just ignore her because that can escalate her behavior. Acknowledge she is there and say hi, but keep it short and impersonal. Be more of acquaintances then friends

DoctorZ :

What appears mean to you is probably her way of "joking around" like friends do.

DoctorZ :

Most likely she is misreading the social situation for what it really is

Customer:

Thank you that is what I wanted to hear!I will ignore her but try to be polite!

DoctorZ :

Yeah definitely keep your distance. Be polite but do not get personal.

DoctorZ :

Keeping your distance is the best way to protect yourself in this situation

Customer:

I think I got my answer- I am glad I did not stop talking to her!Thank you so much for your time.That was fast but definitely what I needed!!!You are great-thanks again!!!

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always glad to help