Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, How can it be that I can be doing something

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Keane, How can it be that I can be doing something enjoyable, but have anxious feelings or at the very least feel a bit down? I know I have some things on my mind as one day there's good news, the next in another area of life, there's bad news, but I have been trying to push troublesome thoughts away before they get the better of me. I hope we can chat. I can try again on Wednesday.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 1 year ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, sorry I missed you today. I am actually at a conference and not available during the day at all. I will be back on Friday afternoon. To help ease your mind you can experience anxiety even when you are not particularly anxious, in fact anxiety can be good for you when it's the "right" time. The best you can do now is to use the techniques that you already know, especially telling yourself to "stop" when the troublesome thoughts break through and replace them with positive affirmations. If you are not working, put on some music or watch a movie. If you are at work, take deep breaths and use a mantra while you are doing it. I'll try and check back if possible but it's quite hectic and not much free time.

Customer:

Hi, Thank you so much for being so kind and getting back to me whilst you are at a conference! What you have said has begun to ease my mind as usually I can see a reason for my anxious feelings, but this time I could not. I do try to work out the reason why I may feel some angst and try to rectify. So, perhaps it's just a general feeling of anxiety since I cannot pinpoint anything specific for this recent bout. I do understand, I think, that anxiety at the right times can be of benefit as it makes us act on something that needs to be done and helps with motivation to complete tasks or to go through with making a change. Do I have any of that understanding right? I actually use the techniques quite often, especially the self-talk when symptoms come, otherwise I know that thoughts of being useless can take over. I am however fairly sure that I am not useless. So, I have been watching a movie, one that I really need to concentrate on and taking deep breaths to also to try to ease the mind and the anxious feelings. Thank you so much again for responding when you are so busy. I hope that your conference, although 'hectic' is good and interesting for you.

Customer:

I have also been listening to the brainsync cd you recommended to me awhile back. I am also trying to deliberately not think about any immediate plans. So, I am doing all I can to try and relax and to try and get back into a non-anxious state.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Expert:  Antonio Colorado replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I'm Psychologist Colorado. Those troublesome thoughts are the ones getting you down. You can't push them away. Actually you have to face them and work them out so that after you do, they will go away because of the work you've done. But pushing them aside won't help. If you would like, we can talk about them. Maybe find out why they are getting you down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Keane and I have been chatting for some time. She knows what I mean and she is extremely helpful, hence why I address all of my questions to her and was in the middle of live chat post with. I am sure that you are a good psychologist, but as I say, Dr. Keane is my choice and her techniques do work and I am very happy with her service.

My apologies. You will get better and she's been a lot of help to you so that's awesome! Your question was here so I just tried to help. Blessings to you and you will get better!!!