Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

my 11 year old daughter has started hearing voices , it seems to happen when she is stress

my 11 year old daughter has started hearing voices , it seems to happen when she is stressed. what do i do?

DoctorZ :

I believe I may be able to help you regarding your daughter.

DoctorZ :

First off hearing voices at such a young age is not uncommon and may be part of her normal development.

DoctorZ :

What do the voices consist of? Do they command her to do anything? Do they reassure her? Can you ask her if the voice is familiar to her?

DoctorZ :

Also are the voices she hears comforting or distressing to her?

Customer:

some are good and reassure her , others taunt her and tell her to do things like to hurt herself, these voices are familliar.

DoctorZ :

Okay and you mentioned that they usually appear when your daughter is stressed, can you give an example of a typical stressful situation when the voices appear for her

Customer:

when we argue and she gets stressed and starts shouting

DoctorZ :

Alright. Are there any other behavioral symptoms that you noticed maybe, like depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, anxiety?

Customer:

yes she does get irritable most of the time, this started about 4 months ago, she was being bullied by the kids in her class.

DoctorZ :

Well that was going to be my next question about how her school life was going, you beat me to it. Did the hearing voices start around the time she was getting bullied?

Customer:

yes,

DoctorZ :

Well I can safely say that what your daughter is going through is most likely non-psychotic auditory hallucinations. And what I mean by non-psychotic is that they are not related to a psychotic disorder like schizophrenia. Most likely the auditory hallucinations are a result of the adversity from being bullied and her brain is trying to protect her emotionally by creating these voices. I am going to send you a link from a recent study on this. It is only a brief summary of the study, but it will give further evidence for you

DoctorZ :

Now you mentioned seeing a psychologist, what did the psychologist say?

Customer:

they said i needed to put her on anti psychotics straight away for the rest of her life. I refused and said i would seek a second opinion

DoctorZ :

Yeah I do not think you have to put her on an antipsychotic for the rest of her life. Let me ask you, does she have any disorganized thinking, paranoia, delusions at all?

DoctorZ :

Also I want to send this attachment to you. It will show you how a symptom of auditory hallucinations in children are often misdiagnosed from someone who is not familiar with this area of study.

Customer:

my daughter has always taiked about an imaginary friend called jade since she was 2 1/2

DoctorZ :

Imaginary friends are very common at that young of an age and can stay intact till she hits her teen years. I do not think you have anything to worry about there

DoctorZ :

My advice for treatment is to see a child psychologist that will help her with her possible anxiety and may be a slight depression she has from the bullying. My belief is that is what is causing her to hear the voices

Customer:

thank i have arranged for us to see MIND in camden they run some session for young children and they have child psychologist there. i thing it is called VOICES WITHIN. thank you . Dr. Z.

DoctorZ :

Anytime I am always glad to help.

DoctorZ :

I also want to send you this link for some relaxation techniques that your daughter can do when she is really stressed or anxious to help her

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me anytime.

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today