Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I took 10 1mg lorazepam in one day and im only prescribed to

Customer Question

I took 10 1mg lorazepam in one day and im only prescribed to 1mg a day how long will it take for my levels to get back to normal?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern regarding the lorazepam

DoctorZ :

How long have you been prescribed the lorazepam on 1mg a day?

DoctorZ :

And why did you take 10 1mg pills in one day?

Customer:

ive been prescribed to the lorazepam since last September and I took them all in one day because I was having a bad day after I took the 10 1mg lorazepam in one day I haven't taken them for 3 weeks im worried because I have a probation meeting coming up and I was wondering when my levels would return back to normal and if it would show up on the test if I took more

DoctorZ :

For your probation or drug test, if they know you are on the lorazepam then it should not be a problem. Also lorazepam has a short half life and should not stay in your system very long.

DoctorZ :

Did you take 10mg of Lorazepam today?

Customer:

no it was a month ago

Customer:

and my test is coming up on wednesday

DoctorZ :

Oh that is good because i was worried about overdose because lorazepam needs to be gradually increased or it can be a shock to your system.

DoctorZ :

No you have nothing to worry about your test, after 36 hours the lorazepam has left your system

Customer:

really? I had heard that it stays in your system for 6 weeks is that true?

DoctorZ :

No because lorazepam is short acting and has a short half life. Most individuals who take lorazepam have it stay in your system for 12-18 hours, but because you took a high dose, it would be 36 hours to be conservative when it would leave your system.

DoctorZ :

It would never stay in your system for 6 weeks though

Customer:

ok great and are you a doctor that specifies in lorazepam?

DoctorZ :

I have a post graduate degree in psychopharmacology, so psychotropic medicine, like lorazepam, is one of my specialties.

DoctorZ :

Also here is the FDA insert for lorazepam

DoctorZ :

The mean half-life of unconjugated Lorazepam in human plasma is about 12 hours and for its major metabolite, Lorazepam glucuronide, about 18 hours. At clinically relevant concentrations, Lorazepam is approximately 85% bound to plasma proteins. Lorazepam is rapidly conjugated at its 3-hydroxy group into Lorazepam glucuronide which is then excreted in the urine.

DoctorZ :

The plasma levels of Lorazepam are proportional to the dose given. There is no evidence of accumulation of Lorazepam on administration up to six months.

DoctorZ :

This basically says what I just told you and it says that lorazepam does not accumulate in the system like other medicines that may, which is why it does not stay in your system for very long

Customer:

ok great so you think I will be ok for my probation test this Wednesday?

DoctorZ :

Yeah you should be fine for something that happened a month ago, no doubt about it at all.

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can help you out with?

Customer:

so the 10mg lorazepam would of only stayed in my system for 36 hours?

DoctorZ :

At the most, and that is a conservative estimate. Some physicians may consider it have left your system around 18-24 hours, but I tend to be conservative with my opinions.

Customer:

ok great thanks for your help!

DoctorZ :

Anytime, I am always happy to help

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me anytime

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided you with excellent service today.

DoctorZ :

Before you leave please take the time to rate my performance on this question to give me credit for answering it. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very much appreciated.

Customer:

hey I was just reading online from several doctors that the lorazepam stays in your urine for 6 weeks are you sure the 10 I took would only stay in my urine for 36 hours?

DoctorZ :

Hello I have asked for your question to be sent to the drug testing experts, since you are asking about drug testing and that is not my expertise. My expertise is on how long the psychotropic medication will be in your blood stream and still in your system. Good luck and I hope they can answer your questions better. But I do have this link from a chemical lab and it says the window of detection for lorazepam is 1.5 to 2.5 days.

DoctorZ :

Hope that helps

DoctorZ :

And then this presentation says 2-5 days for lorazepam

Customer:

so it does not stay in your urine for 6 weeks?

DoctorZ :

So I still believe that 36 hours is enough for the lorazepam to be excreted, but drug testing is not my expertise. But so far I have not read 6 weeks at all

DoctorZ :

And you can look at the first link from a drug testing company it looks like

Customer:

ok im just worried because I don't want them to give me a violation for my levels being higher than they are supposed to so im just hoping the 10mg has left my system alreadcy

DoctorZ :

Well you have been prescribed lorazepam by a doctor, there should be no issue with your drug test.

DoctorZ :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX levels will show dramatic increase in lorazepam levels in your blood stream

Customer:

but what about for a urine test?

DoctorZ :

Well like the first link said it should only be in your system 1.5-2.5 days anyway detected by urine. Also I believe that drug tests only test for the presence of a drug in your system, since they already know you are prescribed that medication, then probably wont inquire more

Customer:

ok great do they have to do something special to test the levels?

DoctorZ :

From the urine? I am not sure to be exact because as I mentioned I do not specialize in drug testing. But from a blood test you can easily detect how much lorazepam is in a person's system. Still with you and from the links I sent you the increased lorazepam should be dissipated by now and the levels should be back to normal. The body is an amazing machine that can metabolize medications very fast and excrete them through our urine.

DoctorZ :

Oh and lorazepam also has poor lipid solubility so that means it is not storing itself in your fat cells, another reason why it does not stay in your system very long

Customer:

ok great so you think I should be fine for my probation test then on Wednesday?

DoctorZ :

I definitely believe you will be fine, I do not think you have anything to worry about.

DoctorZ :

But would you like me to opt out of this question and transfer you to the drug testing experts to give you more peace of mind?

Customer:

that would be great but how does that work and do I have to pay again?

DoctorZ :

No you should not have to pay again because it was a simple honest mistake and you did not know about the categories. I will opt out and see if I can hasten the process of moving you to the category of drug testing, you can also ask to be moved to that category as well. It may take a little time because I already responded to you and you are kind of locked in the mental health category right now, but we will get you to the right category that you want

DoctorZ :

And last questions for me before I opt out?

Customer:

Will it save our chat? because I want to keep it and how does it move me to another category do I just come back to my question?

DoctorZ :

That I am not sure of, you can select the whole chat and copy and paste into a word document. But I think the chat should be saved

DoctorZ :

Also I just saw and you are in the drug testing category right now, so you are where you want to be. But you are also in the mental health category too, so if any mental health guys ask to help you out, just tell them that you were mistakenly categorized in mental health and would like a drug testing expert to help you.

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

Alright, good luck with everything on Wednesday.

Customer:

how do I get transferred to a drug testing expert?

DoctorZ :

The question is now seen by drug testing and mental health experts, so it is in two categories simultaneously. This is why you only want a drug testing expert to answer you and not a mental health expert. So ask the person who answers you if they specialize in drug testing or not.

Customer:

will it show up in my email when they are ready to answer me?

DoctorZ :

It should

Customer:

ok great I just didn't know how to reach or get to the page of the other person

DoctorZ :

No problem I understand. I hope a drug testing expert answers your question fast

Customer:

me too so just keep checking my email?

DoctorZ :

Yeah when someone answers it should pop up in your email.

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

Alright good luck now.

Customer:

thanks

DoctorZ :

anytime

Customer:

hey I never got an email back from anyone to help me

DoctorZ :

Yeah I noticed that too. They may not have a lot of experts in the drug testing category, so they may only be online only periodically and at random times.

DoctorZ :

If anything you can take what I wrote you and the links I gave you as your answer. I do believe that you are in the clear for lorezapam being tested because it is a short acting benzodiazepine and leaves the body more quickly, compared to the long acting benzodiazepines.

DoctorZ :

Also the urine test will be positive for a benzodiazepine if you have still been taking your normal dosage regularly as it is prescribed, but this should be expected because it is a legal prescription from a physician.

DoctorZ :

Did you need anything else I can help reassure you for your test tomorrow?

Customer:

actually I haven't been taking my normal dosage cuz I want my levels to drop so it wouldn't be a bad thing if it was completely out of my system

DoctorZ :

So you have been tapering off the lorazepam?

Customer:

yes

DoctorZ :

Okay, then the test still may detect the presence of the lorazepam in your system, but it is to be expected. Also are your sure they would even test for benzodiazepine since they know you are taking it? They may only test for other substances like marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc...

Customer:

yes they test for benzos but how would they still detect lorazepam in my system and would it be at a higher level than normal?

DoctorZ :

Most probation departments in this country try to do the cheapest drug tests possible, which is why urine so common. Also they may only test for the presence of a drug (e.g. yes or no if drug is present) and not test for the specific amount. If they only test for the presence, which is what I suspect they will, then you should not have any issues at all, but like I said even if they did test for presence I doubt your test would show an abnormally high dose in your system

DoctorZ :

Do you get the results right away?

Customer:

I don't know I haven't been tested yet why? im just saying incase I get one tomorrow

DoctorZ :

Well in the urine tests that I have witnessed as a forensic psychologist they came back within the hour at most and that means that they are just detecting the presence of a drug not the specific levels of that drug

Customer:

ok ijust want to be extra cautious cause someone in my treatment group told me they can test for levels

Customer:

I don't know if they are right though

DoctorZ :

They typically have to test for levels after a positive test result for legal reasons. But since they know you are taking benzodiazepine therapeutically you should just acknowledge the positive result because of your prescription.

DoctorZ :

By the way I read your 6 weeks quote and that only applies to heavy use for years at high dosages, and for long acting benzodiazepines. That does not apply to you at all.

Customer:

so you don't think that they would test my levels for the lorazepam?

DoctorZ :

I do not think so at all. Does your probation officer know that you are prescribed the lorazepam?

Customer:

yes

DoctorZ :

And the probation officer said that legal lorazepam use was not a violation of your probation?

Customer:

correct

DoctorZ :

Then you should be fine

DoctorZ :

You will pass your drug test with all this information, no worries there

Customer:

ok how did you find out that only heavy users for years would show up for 6 weeks?

DoctorZ :

I read it in a peer reviewed journal at the local university library. It is not common knowledge which is why I had to go there to find it.

Customer:

thank you

DoctorZ :

Well when I saw no one was helping you after a couple hours, I wanted to look it up to make sure I was right. Like I said drug testing is not my specialty, but I want to help.

Customer:

I appreciate that

DoctorZ :

Anytime, just happy to help

DoctorZ :

Do you feel reassured now?

Customer:

kinda I am just a very cautious person and I just cant get a violation because I don't want to go to jail again

Customer:

and I don't want to screw my chances up of getting off probation early which I am

DoctorZ :

I understand your feeling regarding this and it is perfectly normal to be a little worried before a drug test

DoctorZ :

My advice for you is if this happens again, tell your prescribing physician immediately that you were feeling bad and anxious and took more than your prescribed dose of lorazepam. This way it is documented and you can back it up in court that you were not abusing, but using more of a prescribed medication to help you during an anxiety attack.

Customer:

so do you think the 10mg of lorazepam levels is out of my system by now?

Customer:

it happened 3 and a half weeks ago

Customer:

or a month

DoctorZ :

Yes I do believe it is out of your system.

Customer:

ok great

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else you need?

Customer:

not that I can think of now but I may chat you tomorrow after I go to my probation meeting

DoctorZ :

Okay I am usually online around 8:30 AM PST tomorrow. And if you rate me now you are also still able to talk to me tomorrow too

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

No problem, good luck tomorrow I am sure you will do fine.

Customer:

ok great

DoctorZ :

Good night and if you need anything else you know where to find me

Customer:

ok so if I rate you now ill still be able to come back tomorrow?

DoctorZ :

Yep you will still be able to contact me no problem. It will be in a question and answer format, but I will be able to respond as promptly as I did right now. When is your drug test by the way?

Customer:

10 am tomorrow morning and I live in iowa

DoctorZ :

So I will be online by the time you get back after your test

Customer:

what do u mean it will be in question and format and how do I get to that page?

DoctorZ :

Same way you get to this page, it will just be in a question and answer format. It is like an email system they have. They do it for longer duration questions like this one because i think they like the chat to be used only for sameday use

Customer:

so ijust click on my questions? and what if I do not rate tonight can I come back to this chat room I really like the chat room and would prefer that

DoctorZ :

Yeah if you do not rate me you may come back to the chat room or not, sometimes it automatically gets sent to question and answer if the chat has been open for too long. I like the chat room too by the way.

Customer:

i wish there was a phone number i could reach u at lol

DoctorZ :

Haha, me too. That would be much easier, or actually a video chat like skype too would work

Customer:

i know

Customer:

im just worried that i wont be able to come back to you tomorrow

DoctorZ :

You will, many customers have asked me follow up questions after they were done with their original question long after they rated me

DoctorZ :

And i usually answer very promptly

Customer:

nice but what if i don't rate you tonight will i be able to come back to this chatroom? i promise ill give you a good rating i just want to be able to come back to this chatroom

DoctorZ :

Like I said you might be able to come back to this chat room or it will get transferred to the question and answer format i mentioned earlier because it has happened to me before because I believe the website does not like the chat rooms to be open for too long

DoctorZ :

But i dont see a downside if you do not rate me tonight, either we are still in the chat room or we are in the question and answer format

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can i just leave this chat open until tomorrow?

DoctorZ :

Sure you can try that. But do not forget I already opted out of this conversation so someone else from the drug testing category may take your question by tomorrow

DoctorZ :

They will still be able to see our chat history, so they will know your history

Customer:

great

DoctorZ :

Alright, anything else you need?

Customer:

the links you sent me were they legit websites?

DoctorZ :

Yeah I looked at them and they are legit. Although the presentation from the second link was more something I just found, but the first link is from an actual lab

Customer:

ok great

DoctorZ :

And here is this one too

DoctorZ :

It says 1-10 days for detection of benzodiazepines, but I suspect the longer duration is for the long acting benzodiazepines and not lorazepam, which is short acting

DoctorZ :

So most places I look I see you are definitely in the clear for your use being a month ago

DoctorZ :

And this one says 3 days for lorazepam

Customer:

its kinda hard because it seems like they all say something different lol

DoctorZ :

That is true, most of these are approximations because it really depends on your body chemistry and how fast you metabolize the medication. For instance if you are elderly taking lorazepam, it would take you twice as long for it to leave your system when compared to younger individuals.

DoctorZ :

So a lot of it depends on your body, but the good news with every approximation that I have seen you are in the clear

DoctorZ :

And these last two links are physicians guides to urine testing, so they are definitely legit

Customer:

so even if i was taking my normal dosage RIGHT after i took the 10 1mg at a time would my levels be back to normal?

DoctorZ :

Yes they would be, everything I am reading on drug testing says that will go back to their normal levels.

Customer:

ok great

DoctorZ :

Alright, so everything I gave you and read says you are in the clear. You should sleep easy tonight

Customer:

yes thanks to you haha if i was going to sleep but im staying up all night drinking coffee because my alarm sometimes doesn't work haha and i don't want to miss my meeting

DoctorZ :

I understand. I usually set two alarms, one close to me and one far away to force me to get up, when I have to wake up early for important meetings.

Customer:

yeah i bet

DoctorZ :

You will be fine, I do hope you get at least a little sleep tonight

Customer:

me too

DoctorZ :

Okay, well good night. I will stay up for the next 30 minutes or so, so if you need anything you know where to find me. Other than that, I will talk to you tomorrow.

Customer:

ok for sure

DoctorZ :

Night

Customer:

night i am going to leave this chat open

DoctorZ :

That is fine, no worries with that

Customer:

hey!

DoctorZ :

Hi there, how are you?

Customer:

good they did not give me a test today

DoctorZ :

Really? Why not?

Customer:

I don't know they haven't given me one since ive been there I was just trying to be cautious incase they did

Customer:

my last meeting is on September 4th and they may however test me then do you think it is most definite that the lorazepam would of left my urine by then

Customer:

?

DoctorZ :

Yeah that one day of 10mg of Lorazepam will definitely be out of your system, I am also 100 percent confident that it would not have had showed up if you were tested today too

Customer:

awesome!!! even if they checked my levels?

DoctorZ :

Yeah you are going to fine, you should not worry anymore

Customer:

ok I feel so relieved

DoctorZ :

Good, now dont take any more than your prescribed dose of lorazepam from now until September 4th if you have too

Customer:

i wont

DoctorZ :

Good

DoctorZ :

Do you need anything else now?

Customer:

no but if i think of anything at any given time can i always come back here and ask you?

DoctorZ :

Yes you can. Just ask for DoctorZ to make sure that I am the only one that will respond to your inquiry

Customer:

how do i ask for you?

DoctorZ :

Well in the header of your question, you can say "For DoctorZ only" and then go on with your question

Customer:

couldn't i just click on my question in my email and it would take me back to this page?

DoctorZ :

Well after some time (usually 5-7 days from what I have seen) this question would get timed out and closed by the moderators, so i am assuming that we are talking about a future question down the road.

DoctorZ :

Now if you rate me though the question will be open for a longer while and you can come back to it, but obviously you will have to pay another fee if you want to ask a different question

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

Yeah I am reading about this more and more, I only started on this website 2 weeks ago.

Customer:

lol oh wow so if i want to get you again i would just have to put in the same place i asked the question for doctorz only?

DoctorZ :

Yeah I see that being done by customers asking for me and other customers who ask for other clinicians.

Customer:

what if it connects me to someone else?

DoctorZ :

You can ask that person that you are waiting for DoctorZ, but no one else should reply to you

Customer:

i was just wondering because in the process of asking the question before you pay it sets you up with an appointment with a doctor

DoctorZ :

Well maybe because that was your first time on the website, but you can ask for me specifically to make sure that I am the one answering. I see it all the time, where customers state "requested DoctorZ" and then no one else answers that question, but me

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

Do not worry, if you ask for me you will get me in the future, that is a guarantee

Customer:

ok i have a question i am under court order to be taking medication and if i stopped the lorazepam until September 4th and then took it after September 4th for a month and lets say my doctors checked to see if iw as taking my medication would my levels be back to normal or could they tell i haven't been taking it?

DoctorZ :

Yes even if you did not take the lorazepam from now until September 4th, but re-continued the medication for a month after that, your levels would be normal for the medication and they could not tell that you ceased taking your medication by a standard urine or blood test.

Customer:

ok great

Customer:

i was so lucky to have found you on this website

DoctorZ :

No problem, I am always happy to help. I am sure other experts would have helped you just as much, but I got to your question first

Customer:

and im relieved that u did

DoctorZ :

Thank you very much, I am just happy to help you

Customer:

do you think they would only check my levels if they believed i wasn't taking it?(they haven't checked it yet)

DoctorZ :

That is a possibility, probation officers have arbitrary criteria for when they want to test their clients. May I ask why you dont want to take the medication?

Customer:

i just want to be cautious id just rather start taking it again when i am off of probation

DoctorZ :

Okay, I understand that. I think you will be fine though, you have nothing to worry about regarding testing positive because of one day of taking 10mg of lorazepam

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

Okay, any other questions?

Customer:

no i don't think so

DoctorZ :

Well i am happy to have helped you and even though you did not get drug tested today, I am 100 percent positive you would have been fine

Customer:

ok thank u

DoctorZ :

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime

Customer:

ok

DoctorZ :

I hope I provided excellent service for you

Customer:

you did

DoctorZ :

Thank you I am happy I helped and I provided you with excellent service, dont forget to rate that before you sign off. And remember you can always ask for me again in the future and I will answer as promptly as I can

Customer:

ok i will rate you right now

DoctorZ :

Thanks

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to mention that I am 26 does that make a difference in the answers you have given me?

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
No not at all. I knew you were 26 actually. And I remember I mentioned that someone younger metabolizes lorazepam at a faster rate then someone older. In fact, a study showed that an elderly individual taking lorazepam would take twice as long for it to leave their system when compared to younger individuals. You have nothing to worry about for your meeting in September, everything will be fine. I hope this helps to reassure you. Good luck with everything and if you need anything else, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if I started taking my normal dosage RIGHT after I took the 10 1mg lorazepam would my levels be back to normal or would they be higher?

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
If you started taking the normal dosage of lorazepam right after taking 10mg, your levels would be higher but that is because of the 10mg you took. After around 3-4 days, your levels would return to normal, even with consistent use of the 1mg of lorazepam you have been taking.