Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

***For Dr Kaushik Only Please*** Hi Dr Kaushik, Im back

***For Dr Kaushik Only Please***

Hi Dr Kaushik,

I’m back again, I have been getting better, but had a recent relapse…I need some advice, it’s about visual problems and potential HPPD (Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder)

When my Anxiety/Derealisation, is pretty bad, I sometimes have visual problems, such as everything is a bit blurry, I sometimes get slight trailers of my vision (Like when you move a light in the dark) and have prominent ‘eye floaters’, I also think I might have slight ‘Visual Snow’ when looking at say a white/black object, it looks like there is a tiny thin static layer over it (Like on a tv chanel with no signal) but barely noticeable.

I’ll just give you an example of what I mean by the Visual Snow, and how I explained it to a friend:

Say focus on say a square of pure white on an email/computer screen, say a stamp size…now hold the focus for like 5-10 secs, Is it totally still, or do you see kind of a light static of dots within the area your looking at, like the tv channel static I mentioned, but obviously not as bad, just like very very mild lighter and darker spots within the white, like they’re moving/pulsating ever so slightly? - but there not!...Is this Visual Snow or maybe just normal? Is proper visual snow much worse?

These are to be honest very barely noticeable at all, but become more prominent when my Anxiety/DR is bad.

Anyway so I stumbled across the condition HPPD on the internet when researching these above symptoms, and read that is can cause Derealisation also (So this got me worrying) Apparently HPPD is normally linked to using Hallucinogenic drugs, I thought back to having a couple of bad episodes on cannabis and freaking out and having severe Derealisation and visual tracers just after taking quite a bit of cannabis in one go (I never used it much in total and these symptoms totally resolved after the drug wore off) and started worrying that maybe it wasn’t just cannabis, but maybe laced with a hallucinogenic drug…anyway after ringing various friends for reassurance - we confirmed it was just standard cannabis, and standard ‘speed’ that resulted in my having the huge panic attack and subsequent symptoms I suffer from now, so I have NEVER to my knowledge used a Hallucinogenic drug.

I then stopped worrying as I knew I had never had a Hallucinogenic drug so couldn’t have HPPD – as it states you must have had one, but then I read on a HPPD forum that some people experienced this HPPD (Of think they are/have) with just using cannabis alone, and then even from just standard panic attacks with no drugs involved, and it didn’t have to be from say LSD or another Hallucinogenic etc. SO…then I thought maybe I have this…

Now I’m worried that maybe alongside my Anxiety/Derealisation I have this lifelong HPPD condition? From either doing cannabis and freaking out, or the panic attack from taking ‘Speed’ (That was then the Derealisation/Anxiety started altogether – the cannabis experiences were before all this started, and I never had any long lasting issues after the cannabis but thought maybe this could cause it months later)

I did notice the visual issues…Tracers/Blurry Vision/Floaters when the Derealisation came on strong at first (After the speed panic attack) but I’m sure it has gone now since, but now I’m doubting myself and not sure?! And if I wave my hand in front of me I can see slight tracers still, and if I concentrate on a white page/the sky etc I can see some sort of very very faint visual snow as described above, and now again, feel like I am doomed and will never feel better again? And I’m going to be ‘HPPD tripping’ forever and won’t be able to cope. I think if you can guarantee me that Visual problems as mentioned can occur in Anxiety/DR that is ok and I can cope with that, but if it’s HPPD on top of what I have it just feels like it might make everything worse?

So I guess what I’m asking is…

Can Derealisation/Anxiety, cause visual issues such as ‘Slight Tracers’ ‘After images’ ‘Floaters’ Very mild Visual Snow…when it is playing up/bad – like I have mentioned? Or is it more likely HPPD? Like I said I don’t notice these symptoms really, and think they may of gone (Until I check and then I’m not so sure) they don’t/didn’t bother me…until now I think it might be part of HPPD and could get worse etc…

Would you class my symptoms as maybe having this HPPD, or is HPPD far worse, and I’m simply suffering from Anxiety/Derealisation, and worrying. Do you think I have it?

Even if I was perhaps suffering from HPPD, can it get better/go away, or would it be a life sentence of misery?

And does everyone to some extent get these ‘Tracers/Visual Snow/Floaters/After Images etc – and is this somewhat normal (unless of course it’s extremely prominent and ruins your life)

Please help me doctor, I promise to stay away from internet searches after this…I also have a counselling appointment within the next 8 weeks, but need your help now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

Well here below are the answers to your queries.

1) Yes I believe this fresh bout of symptoms are nothing but a part of your anxiety coupled with your obsession with over-evaluating minor symptoms and making them look like they are something very severe and debilating, quite simply on the lines of Hypochondriacal obsessions.

2) No, these symptoms do not qualify for HPPD reason being a) For HPPD to be diagnosed there needs to be previous use of a Hallucinogen and b) the symptoms of visual snow/tracers need to be consistently present on a daily basis and not like it has happened in your case that is occurring once in a while.

3) As discussed above in 2) you do not seem like having HPPD, so you need not bother about it. But if at it ever have occurred then it's treatment would have been difficult and it would have been a life long condition.

4) These tracers/ visual snow are nothing but floaters which almost every other person gets owing to accumulation of concretions/deposits in the vitreous humour which are mostly part of age related wear and tear of body.

Please try to distract yourself from this as this is nothing to worry about.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Kaushik,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I just wanted to ask two more things which occurred to me.

- I do totally agree with your response, and it is very reassuring...but say if* someday I did get/or have some mild HPPD symptoms along with my OCD/GAD/DR for whatever reason, would it mean that I couldn't still have some quality of life? Or would there still be a possibility of me being able to lead a good quality of life, even if I had to deal with this as well? Would it make my prognosis much worse?

- And also can having anxiety/derealisation make visual problems such as very slight floaters/tracers/visual snow slightly worse than in a 'normal' person? As I do honestly think my vision is worse than before when my symptoms are bad.

Thanks - that's all.

Gareth

-

Well if you ever developed mild HPPD then although it may be distressing but it may not compromise your quality of life until it becomes too severe.

Yes anxiety does make floaters/tracers/visual snow worse than in a normal person.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks doctor, last question I promise:

Can/Could you still have a decent quality of life living with HPPD (Even if it varies in severity)?

And if* I actually did have this condition, would I still have a chance of leading a normalish life?

I guess I just want hope that if I ever did get this, I would still be okay, be able to live a decent life.

Well if you get this HPPD then although there may occur some discomfort and some decompensation. in terms of slight hindrance in your vision but I believe you still be able to adjust to your situation and will be able to lead a normal life.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards.
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry