Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

How do I switch from .25 Xanex twice a day to .25 Clonazepam

How do I switch from .25 Xanex twice a day to .25 Clonazepam Orally Disintegrating twice a day? I have Lyme and have been on Xanex for 3 months. My Doctor said to take the Clonazepam in the morning and at night. I have read that you can't just stop one and take the other without withdrawal from the Xanex. I take Xanex at 10:00 am and
5:00 pm. Would .25 be the right dose of Clonazepam.

Hi! I believe I can be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how worrisome this situation must be for you. I'm so sorry to hear you contracted Lyme Disease. It is so disruptive to a person's life. Xanax, and clonazepam (Klonopin) as well, are prescribed for anxiety and panic disorders. So I imagine that there is a lot of anxiety for you associated with the Lyme.

I'm not sure where you heard that you should not switch from Xanax to clonazepam by stopping the one and switching to the clonazepam. This is the standard procedure among these medications. It's important to know that both Xanax and clonazepam are in the same drug family (benzodiazepines). Xanax is shorter acting and clonazepam is longer acting for most people. Xanax is most often replaced by clonazepam if a person is going to be on benzodiazepines for a longer term. So when your doctor prescribed the clonazepam and told you to switch when you fill the prescription, that's the way it's usually done.

The question of whether you will have side effects from clonazepam that you haven't had with Xanax is a separate question and will not be affected typically by this switch. Your system may be sensitive to clonazepam for some reason; but the fact that you tolerated Xanax well would indicate, as it has for most people, that you will tolerate clonazepam well.

And on the other side, you should also be optimistic: you don't report having side effects from the Xanax itself. Thus, your concern would be withdrawal symptoms from stopping to take the Xanax. But you should know that when people have such withdrawal symptoms, clonazepam effectively removes those withdrawal side effects. So the chances of you having these symptoms are very small. This is reason to be optimistic and confident in making the switch.

You might also consider adding a behavioral component to your treatment for your anxiety and possible depression from the Lyme. While behavioral treatment requires more effort from the patient than medications and is not as quick acting, it doesn't have the side effects nor withdrawal symptoms of the medications. If you would like to introduce a behavioral treatment, feel free to ask me another question about it. Just write “For Dr. Mark” at the beginning and everyone will know it’s for me.

I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button because: even though you have made a deposit, I do not get paid for my time unless you press ACCEPT. You are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing ACCEPT. Feel free to continue the discussion even after pressing ACCEPT as my goal is to get you the best answer possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have looked this up on the internet over and over and everyone doing it says you have to slowly replace one with the other. The pharmacist even

said you may have some withdrawal from the Xanex as the Clonazepam

takes longer to get in you system and start working.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Hi. I'm sorry I was a way for a few moments.

Clonazepam is longer lasting and Xanax is shorter, as I wrote above. That does indeed mean that Xanax leaves the system at a quicker rate than clonazepam enters. This is a matter of a few hours, though, not days.

That's why most people don't have a problem with switching. That the internet chats are dominated by people who do have problems would make sense, since that is what would motivate someone to chat about it on the internet. The majority who don't have problems, don't join the chat.

You are very concerned about withdrawal symptoms and therefore it may be worthwhile for you to discuss this with your doctor and talk about the possibility of overlapping your dosages for a few days to taper off the Xanax. Tapering off is the model when you are going off benzodiazepines completely. And so your doctor may agree with this approach if you don't want to follow the pharmacist's recommendation alone. The pharmacist seemed to recommend this approach of tapering off the Xanax while starting the clonazepam. As long as you taper off the Xanax as you start the clonazepam, you should not have trouble with too much in your system is the pharmacist's approach here. And it is a workable approach because the dosages are not going to be high. So, if you want to follow the pharmacist's approach that is one option and you seem comfortable with it. Or you can wait until you talk it through with your doctor.

Okay, I wish you the very best!