Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My husband had been in a psychiatric ward 2x in the past year,

Customer Question

My husband had been in a psychiatric ward 2x in the past year, he is taking other drugs that are not conducive to his mental health, he drinks daily and has become very aggressive and non-compliment. I fear for his life as well s my own. Can I have him committed?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 3 years ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This has to be a devastating and constant pressure on your life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your husband is apparently not safe and has a long history of mental illness.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The rules for civil commitment are established by laws, which vary from state to state. Legal commitment proceedings often follow a period of emergency hospitalization during which a person with acute psychiatric symptoms is held for a short time (48-72 hours, for example) in a treatment facility where he is stabilized and evaluated.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

After this time if the facility believes it is beneficial to hold him for further treatment then you can then present this formally to the court where evidence and testimony by you and others (medical or friends and family) is submitted.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is often done in order to protect his safety or yours or others (if he appears to be homicidal or suicidal or has intent to do harm, and the means).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He would be entitled to legal counsel and may challenge a commitment order if one is granted.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

For your own shattered life and well being, let me recommend a very helpful book to guide you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If reading helps (and is a viable alternative to counseling for anxiety then let me recommend two more books: one as another general guide:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and the other as a personal testimony for encouragement and to uplift and give you hope:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If there is some other way that I can serve you, please let me know.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

P.S. - contact your local Social Services office or county attorney for the best way to proceed in your area.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep your husband, and you in my prayers.