Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My son has recently been diagnosed with non specified bipolar

My son has recently been diagnosed with non specified bipolar disorder, although he did have a manic episode which sent him to the hospital. He has been reading and learning about the disease and his understanding is that is tends to be progressive and will likely get worse with age. He also knows that some people do go into a remission. I am wondering if there are any percentages as far as what is most likely to happen. Do more people get worse with age or do more go into a remission.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

DoctorZ :

Hello I believe I can help you with your concern

DoctorZ :

As of yet there are no specific percentages on the likelihood of progressively worsening of symptoms or remission. Many studies contradict each other with percentages. What I can say is that most studies do view Bipolar as a progressive disorder that will occur for a majority of the individual's life. Now as for getting the symptoms getting worse over time, that has been debated. Most studies view the shortening of space of time between cycles as evidence of worsening symptoms, and some studies show that cycles can get shorter and other studies do not see that. So for now a lot of the studies say that the second cycle is typically shorter than the first, and the third cycle can be longer than the second, but then after that the cycles are unpredictable regarding space between them

DoctorZ :

Many experts that the age of onset is important as well. If the age of onset was very young with a manic episode, then that is suggestive of worsening symptoms over time.

DoctorZ :

In addition with the use of psychotropic medications and the use of therapy, this has led to successful sustained periods where the patient did not experience a cycle

Customer:

Would that mean that someone who has their first episode at the age of 26 is likely to experience worsening symptoms over time?

DoctorZ :

Actually no, that is a good prognostic factor that it happened that late. When I mean early onset, I mean among teenagers around 15 or 16 years old. Actually over half of patients typically have their first episode before age 25. So with you son's first episode at 26 is actually good news.

Customer:

That is good to hear. I hate to think that teenagers have to deal with this disorder. Thanks for your help.

DoctorZ :

Anytime I wanted to give you a couple links that may provide greater details for you regarding this.

Customer:

That would be wonderful , thanks again

DoctorZ :

No problem, let me get the other link for you

DoctorZ :

And there you go.

DoctorZ :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Thanks so much. I will now give you an excellent rating

DoctorZ :

No problem, I am always glad to help. Good luck to you and your son, I wish you both the best

Customer:

Thank-you

Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience: Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.