TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Celebrity Crush, met him, and feel worse

Met my celebrity crush. Was actually hoping he'd "like" me. This is a local celebrity who lives in the area. Now, I'm sad that I probably will never see him again. He was so nice. I am in a practically sexless marriage, and trying to work it out with my husband.  I also stupidly gave this man my cell phone number via facebook, then the next morning apologized and asked him to ignore it.  I thought part of the conversation in which he stated he was "a little shy," meant I was supposed to make a move then.  I feel like a complete ass!

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

If you are in a practically sexless marriage, it sounds like there are some issues between you and your husband. If that is the case, then you may be looking elsewhere to feel appreciated and loved. A celebrity is a good person to put these feelings on to because they show a certain personality to the public. They appear to be someone who gets along with everyone, is charming and cares deeply about others. And in that way, it is not unusual at all that you felt as you did about the celebrity you met.

Most celebrities are very used to people approaching them and knowing them. Feeling embarrassed only means that you chose to do something based totally on emotions and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone does things like that. As long as you feel you reacted to take care of the situation and made amends as you could, then try to let it go. You did no harm to anyone, just a bit to your pride.

What you might want to do is focus more on your marriage. This situation has shown you that you have needs that are not being dealt with in your marriage. Try counseling with your husband. Talk to each other more often about what you feel. And if possible, consider trying to rekindle what you had earlier in your marriage. There are many books and other resources to help you both repair your marriage. Here are some to get you started:

The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert... by John M. Gottman and Nan Silver

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!