TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Can a 12 year old (or older) boys behavior change if given

Can a 12 year old (or older) boy's behavior change if given good behavior examples?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It is not clear why the therapist told you that a 12 year old's behavior is set, but that is untrue. Anyone's behavior can change at any age given enough motivation (through self motivation or outside motivation). A person's personality is set by that age. That may be what the therapist meant.

For someone to change, they need to feel there is a need. Most people will not change if they feel there is enough reason to stay as they are. To change a 12 year old's behavior, you would need to give enough negative consequences to the behavior he has now in order to motivate him enough to change.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! You have taken a load off of me!

You're welcome! I am glad I could help.

Kate
Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

My best to you,

Kate