Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

My husband and I have just been made aware that our 39 year

My husband and I have just been made aware that our 39 year old son, who is a recovering alcoholic, may also have antisocial personality disorder. Can you recommend someone in the San Diego CA area that we could discuss this possibility with and who might help us navigate this territory?

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how distressing this situation must be for you. You both must be very disheartened as well as worried. Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD) is a very serious diagnosis. I want to paste in for you the diagnostic criteria for APD so you have an idea what it refers to. That way, when you talk with the psychologists that I'll recommend for you, you can ask questions. I'll paste in the diagnostic criteria at the end of my posting, okay?

I'd like to recommend two psychologists in the San Diego area. The reason I'm recommending them: first, they are psychologists and not just therapists, so they've had greater educations and your son's condition is very serious as diagnosed. Second, these two psychologists work with addictions as well as personality disorders. That was important in my consideration given that they need to be able to deal with your son's alcohol use. And third, they are experienced practitioners.

First, is Dr. Sean O'Hara. He's been a psychologist for 25 years and has 3 offices in San Diego. So, I'm hoping one of them is close. He's very experienced in addictions issues. His main office:

16935 West Bernardo Drive
Suite 110
San Diego, California 92127

Dr. Iren Fellegvari has been practicing for 10 years. I thought I would recommend a female psychologist in case your son would relate better to a female than a male.

5230 Carroll Canyon Rd
Ste 100
San Diego, California 92121
(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Here are the diagnostic criteria for APD:

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
(4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
(5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others
(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

B. The individual is at least age 18 years.

C. There is evidence of Condujct Disorder with onset before age 15 years.