Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

A (very pretentious, IMHO) person recently made this statement: "Psychoanalysis

A (very pretentious, IMHO) person recently made this statement:

"Psychoanalysis is currently in professional disrepute and has been for decades. ADD has nothing to do with psychoanalysis. Moreover, it remains a recognized psychiatric disorder although, as with much else in psychiatry, there is much professional disagreement over its nature and precise course of treatment."

I'd like to hear a professional reaction to this (rather pompous, IMHO) statement.

Thanks for your input.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe I can help. Perhaps I am not as learned at the pompous gentleman to whom you referred, but I do understand that for quite sometime others have tried to corrupt the concept of psychoanalysis as a means of restoring aberrant emotional experiences through their main biological, chemical, and physiological causes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me quote from an article by Marvin Hyman, PhD entitled Why Psychoanalysis Is Not a Health Care Profession:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Another discussion of the relationship between medicine and psychoanalysis appeared in Szasz's (1964) book The Myth of Mental Illness. Szasz took the position that "mental illness is a myth" and that in actual practice we "deal with personal, social, and ethical problems in living" (p. 308). Further, he argued that the so-called symptom is not a product of a disease process, but, rather, is a form of protolanguage, a system of representational signs or picture language, rebuslike in its form and message. From this view, psychoanalysis is not the treatment of disease, but the semiotical analysis of verbal behavior (associations) and bodily language (e.g., hysterical symptoms).

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Finally, may I refer you to an article in German. I can quote you the abstract. The article is:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2007;56(4):356-85.

[ADHD--indication for psychoanalytic treatments? Some clinical, conceptual, and empirical considerations based on the "Frankfurt Prevention Study"]. byLeuzinger-Bohleber M, Staufenberg A, Fischmann T.

Source

Sigmung-Freud-Institut, Frankfurt.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Abstract

Based on clinical experiences, results of the Frankfurt Prevention Study and arguments taken from a current interdisciplinary dialogue between psychoanalysis and neurobiology the authors discuss that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) always has to be understood as a product of complex interactions of (mostly unconscious) idiosyncratic, biographical, relational, institutional, societal as well as neurobiological, neurophysiological, and genetical factors. This is one reason why the authors think that psychoanalysis with its unique conceptualizations to understand psychic realities as products of such a complex intertwining of unconscious and reality factors, taking into account biological as well as societal roots of human behavior, could be regarded as one of the best available psychotherapeutic approach nowadays which is capable to deal theoretically and therapeutically with children suffering from ADHD. Psychoanalysis offers an alternative (with longlasting positive results) to exclusive treatments with psychostimulants. This thesis is discussed by short case studies illustrating 7 subgroups of children with very different inner conflicts and fantasies all being subsumed under the ADHD diagnosis in DSM-IV.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This is an erudite work that can certainly counter the blanket statement made by the man with whom you take issue./

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so, SO much, Mr. Elliott. I truly appreciate your answer.

It is always refreshing to talk to a bona fide practitioner in the field, as there are so many self-proclaimed 'experts' out there, banging away on the Internet about their own "genius."

I would like to get your feedback on a subsequent pronouncement that the so-called 'expert' laid down with very god-like authority. I don't think any analyst will ever diagnose him with a self-esteem problem:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Regarding the three options ('You can normalize these things, and say 'he's like that, let's take advantage of it' or 'it's a problem but he'll grow out of it' or you can medicalize it and call it ADD.') it all comes down to whether the person perceives his/her constellation of behaviors as an insuperable problem, one that gets in the way of his/her life and career goals. Just as an aside, though, normalizing AND medicalizing aren't necessarily incompatible strategies."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think of that? It smells like more self-inflation to me.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for the kind words.

Your humor also caused me to laugh out loud in delight, several times.

HIs insuperable (Laughing) intellect cannot be challenged (to what end?). His pronouncements will dissipate into the ethers and will not be noticed if you stand back.

If the ADD causes no dysfunction then its existence can be normalized and should therefore NOT be medicalized - unless of course it is normal for anyone with any symptom to be put on medication.

Hmmm. Isn't that what is already happening?

Excuse me. Its time for my afteroon dose.

Warm regards,

Elliott