TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My wife of 32 years passed away a OKMH75211postanswer

My wife of 32 years passed away a year and a half ago. I have been dating a woman for the past 3 months. The relationship has grown to the point where I want to introduce her to my 28 year old daughter. I have told her I have been dating but get no questions. I brought up the idea of having my new friend over for a cook out and my daughter told me she was not yet ready for that. I would like my new relationship to continue to move forward but I also want my daughter to feel at least comfortable with the idea. Can you suggest any techniques I may use to slowly help my daughter get comfortable?

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your daughter is still uncomfortable with the idea that you are ready to have a new relationship. Usually the reason why a son or daughter will not accept a new partner is because they are still mourning the loss of the other parent. So the two of you may be in different places with the passing of your wife.

It may help your daughter if you try a few things to get her used to the idea that you would like her to know your new partner:

1. Try talking to her about your feelings for her mother. Let her know that they will never change and that you will always love her. And tell her just because you are dating you are not putting her mother aside. She is still important to you.

2. Do something together to honor your wife. Maybe visit her grave together, go to her favorite restaurant together, etc. By doing this you acknowledge that you both miss her and remember how special she was.

3. Let your daughter know that while you do have a new relationship, you will still talk to her about her mother.

4. Ask your daughter what you and your new partner can do to make this easier on her. Her input is important.

5. Find something your new partner and your daughter have in common and encourage both of them to share this interest.

Most of all, try not to force the issue. It may take your daughter a while to get used to the idea of you moving on. But if you can be aware of her feelings and talk to her, she should get used to it. If not, consider therapy together to help her talk this out with you.

I hope this has helped you,
I hope my answer was helpful to you. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

Take care,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you are welcome
Take care!