Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Need help. Tired of holding it together... Sleeping too much.

Need help. Tired of holding it together... Sleeping too much. Eating whatever. Drinking more than usual, but have a low tolerance. Hate my high stress job - I am the breadwinner. Husband cheated 2 years ago, and we never really dealt with it. Full custody of a 14 yr old daughter, 4 dogs, 2 horses at home. So, I feel like I can't leave, even for a vacation. Father has had major depression, as have I in the past. Few real friends...no real life. No real joy. Would rather sleep, than deal with any of it. But, deal I must, but I am wondering what is the point?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

We have all felt that way.

Customer: Great..
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have 2 horses at home, 1 dog left, 3 cats, and that's all. I know how you can feel sometimes.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Has the weather made it worse today?

Customer: Not really, glad for an excuse to do the bear minimum...
Customer: Seems to be the most I can do these days
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Then it made it better. I had five inches so far and it is gloomy, but the sun will be back sometime, literally and figuratively for both of us.

Customer: Not sure bout that...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You probably do not need any distractions, but possible a change of pace.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

When you say you can't leave, that means it may be time for a break.

Customer: Been about 4 years of hell...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Whatever the cost, it is worth breaking the routine.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What else besides the horrible betrayal (which is a lot to bear by itself,l I know)/

Customer: That is the problem...been working so hard to get to a point of not having to work so hard...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Nobody to back you up?

Customer: No one I trust...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have a business (in general terms to keep your confidentiality)"

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

?

Customer: i am very self sufficient by necessity. No, I work for an institution I fundamentally hate at this point, but make great $. Have plan to try to escape. It involves buying another farm and selling this one. Could mean no mortgage, which would mean I could escape from the current job.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you started putting these plans into action? It sounds like a great plan.

Customer: Yes, it involves a credit line on current house to buy new house, which is taking forever to get done. Then, flood damage in current house will need to be fixed in order to sell. That involves us doing the work ourselves and then getting the insurance money back from the bank.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Ourselves? You are still with your husband I presume?

Customer: It also assumes that the seller of the house we are buying actually goes through with it. He is in jail, and needs the $ to make bail. Yes, my husband and the kid and the animals...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you get an agent to facilitate this for you and a contractor that will get a move on? There is more work than contractors nowadays, generally.

Customer: The cheating thing was so cliche'...he and his ex from high school connected in Facebook and then had a 3 month affair. She was married, as well. Ugh!
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can your marriage survive and happiness be restored, or has it been already?

Customer: We to $37,000 from the insurance company...can do the work ourselves for $10,000 or so. The rest can be used to get Ouse ready to sell for top $.
Customer: Marriage is tough.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That needs to get straight before you can go into another joint venture, don't you think?

Customer: I don't trust him 100%, so I am always playing defense...when I have the energy to, that is...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you live like that? It is quite a drain.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How is your self-esteem from this? Are you working on this individually or together?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your defensiveness, which is understandable, puts a strain on him too. It is a cycle that has to be broken.

Customer: Well, I am not sure what he can do about the way I feel. This kinda goes beyond him. Not sure I would feel any better if he weren't in the picture. He does help out around here. Self esteem is okay...I know I could be "better". Just can't seem to get there...I just do the bare minimum...it's all I can handle. It is a lot to ask for him to live with a "zombie"...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Which came first: the depression or the cheating?

Customer: I could literally sleep all the time...would rather be in my bedroom alone than anywhere doing anything...
Customer: Depression goes back to teenage years...off and on since then or maybe always there and just gets really bad at times.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Depression or something physical? Have you been checked out?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And what meds are you taking?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Endocrinology screening?

Customer: No clue, pretty healthy other than a hernia and a strange skin disorder that disappeared. No mess other than ibuprofen for headaches.
Customer: Nope...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Its worth a look.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

No info on the skin disorder?

Customer: Thyroid or something else?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That's what I was thinking, hence the screening for thyroid or adrenals. Could be a longterm cause of depression.

Customer: It was a weird pupuria...dermatologist said it wouldn't go away, but it did.
Customer: Guess I need to see an MD...usually just go to Urgent Care on the rare occasion it's needed
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thyroid problems can cause skin diseases: pretibial myxedema or thyroid acropachy and possible others

Customer: That or a psychiatrist...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

AND

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

can cause depression.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If your problem comes from organic causes you should have that checked BEFORE seeing a psychiatrist.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Skin disorder is a tipoff that should be looked into.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Did your skin look very tanned with a greenish caste to it? That is adrenal caused.

Customer: Nope...I am pale
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

or dark patches?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This was awhile ago.

Customer: Bloodwork has always been normal...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And you are taking no antidepressants and never did?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Are you irritable? Lack initiative and focus? Lack interest?

Customer: It was last year...no dark patches...more like leaky blood vessels (though it was shamberg's disease, but it went away)
Customer: None now...have taken Prozac, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin in the past (not at the same time)
Customer: Not irritable in my head...difficulty expressing myself to others. Lack of energy...just want to sleep. Used to ride and workout all the time...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Any of them help?

Customer: Now, just get uo, feed the ponies, go to work, come home, feed the ponies again and pick poo, then hole myself up in the bedroom. They all helped at the time I was taking them...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why not take them again? Wellbrutrin may be the least fatiguing and does not cause weight gain or libido loss.

Customer: I h
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

At least break the circuit a little, and then perhaps talk to a therapist about stressors that may be causing or making things worse.

Customer: i still have some of that...may be expired, will have to check. It was from my quit smoking attempt...ended up with the ecigarettes, which seem "better"
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Yes. Wellbutrin (bupropion) also helps to quit smoking. Better with a fresh lot because drugs that stand can become something else.

Customer: Guess I need to make an appt with an MD...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And getting out of this depression will give you more energy to take care of your business, and will make you more accessible to your husband and help your relationship heal faster.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I recommend a therapist as well.

Customer: Just seems like such a long way back to recovery from here...long way back to the light...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And perhaps a psychiatrist since they know SO MUCH MORE about psychotropic drugs than many MDs, although some are up to score.

Customer: Darn fireworks...better go check on the ponies...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

But there is a way back and you need to keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel - EVEN if you can only imagine that there is a light.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Too much rain here for fireworks, and too rural. I just saw deer in the fields with my horses.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Darn garden-eating deer. :)

Customer: Rural here, too, but apparently not rural enough. Would take the deer over the fireworks...too much rain lately for the ponies to get to running around.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

LOL

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I am in southern KY.

Customer: Big
Customer: mama, the mare, is blind in one eye, and the OTTB is her seeing eye horse...he is a little high strung for that job.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I wish you the courage and initiative to make that appointment and start climbing out of the hole. You will do it.

Customer: Thanks for your help,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That daughter needs you.