Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

My son has severe anxiety and ADD OKMH76211postanswer

Customer Question

My son has severe anxiety and ADD (some mental health professionals say he has ADD some do not). My wife’s doctor says that she has severe anxiety and old mental health professional that she was see years ago said that she possible has ADD. I believe that she does have ADD from the questionnaires I have seen. Is there a way to figure this out? So that both my wife and son can get the right treatment. Can severe anxiety and or ADD be inherited? My wife keeps tell me things that are happening to her at work or with her friend’s and I have lost all ability to believe her. From everything that she tells me everyone is against her, looking and thinking about her, planning bad things to do to her etc, etc, etc.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 3 years ago.

There is a way to tell if your son and wife have ADD or ADHD. Usually a psychologist can use psychological assessments to test for child or adult ADD, but sometimes these tests can be very expensive if they are not covered by insurance. In addition the tests are usually time consuming and can cover a few hours over multiple days. Here is a link of typical symptoms of ADD as well as a link for a basic self test of ADD.

We are not sure about the causes of ADD, but most studies do show a strong genetic component and that ADD usually runs in families. Anxiety that is associated with ADD also can be inherited as well.

In addition, your wife's symptoms of thinking everyone is against her, and so forth, is not typical of anxiety or ADD. These symptoms are usually found in a symptom of paranoia which can be a result of multiple disorders like delusional disorder, drug or alcohol use, schizophrenia, etc... A detailed history and assessment by a trained psychologist will help with a more accurate diagnosis.

I hope this helps provide you some guidance on ADD and anxiety. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. I hope I provided you with excellent service today.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check in since I have not heard from you in a few days and see how everything was going with you wife. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me at anytime. I hope you have a good rest of your weekend.