Dr. A. Rene
Dr. A. Rene, Psychologist
Experience:  10 years of clinical experience with expertise in trauma related disorders.
74737884

In 2007 I had a manic episode and was diagnosed sic: "Manic

In 2007 I had a manic episode and was diagnosed sic: "Manic episode with psychotic elements, possibly bipolar." by a psychiatrist.

While under investigation at work, the company medical consultant, a general practitioner as far as I can determine, consulted with a Phd in psychology, who informed the doctor thus: "I think we must consider him as bipolar." On this basis, I was disqualified from working in a safety-critical environment, denied an accommodation position and forced to accept less than half the pension I expected after twenty-two years with the company, CN Rail.

I had worked satisfactorily for two years while being treated with lithium carbonate while being monitored for dosage. The company doctors kept increasing the dosage until my hands trembled and my skin was bad. I understand that lithium must be within a range in the blood levels but my point is that I was working well enough before that with no incidents.

I understand that I could be deluding myself, but I often can't sleep thinking about it. Phd. psychologist does not do pharmacology. Lithium can affect short-term memory. I was given a neuro-psychological evaluation that determined I was intelligent, had poor hand-eye coordination and poor short-term memory. In this case I was slow to acquire new things, but excellent at retaining once I acquired. Before I hired on with CN Rail I did an evaluation with Canada Manpower in Alberta... in 1983 that said that I had poor hand-eye skills.

This may be a labour law case; actually I don’t know whose case this is yet, and as I said I might be deluded… but my question for you is:

Can a Phd. In Psychology give an evaluation like this without considering the pharmacology history as far as actual medicine is concerned?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. A. Rene replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Rene :

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid.” – Einstein

Dr. A. Rene :

A Ph.D. psychologist can provide general information regarding diagnosis and can do an assessment regarding the possible impact of symptoms on your overall functioning and abilities at the time of the assessment.

Dr. A. Rene :

In general, and information regarding any side effects/effects of medication should be directed to a physician who is authorized to prescribe medication and who specializes in psychiatric disorders, especially if their findings have the potential to impact your job.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for ending the chat.

While I was waiting for you to formulate your answer my wife found me some chores to do.

In high school I did what I think was called a SACU test. Problem solving, math and language were evaluated. My score was 98-92-67.

I dropped my math courses in the last year.

I was a member of Mensa in 1980 in Edmonton. At their evaluation I received two exams. On the first exam my score was better than 97% of the population. On the second test, I think it was called California Analogies, my score was better than 99% of the population. I noticed that my score for problem solving was greater than my language by half.

I don't even think about how smart I might be. I try to solve problems.

I understand that the psychologist can advise the medical doctor on my behaviour. I understand that an employer might not feel comfortable employing someone who might screw up and destroy property valued up to the cost of a town and the people in it. I understand that some people do not perceive their own condition.

In my case company supervisors were told of things and reported up the chain of command, apparently without any further investigation. The thing that pulled me out of service, before the neuro-psychological evaluation but after my lithium dose had been raised, was an instruction from another conductor I worked with, on a familiarization trip.

This conductor, whom I happen to like, and with whom I had no previous disagreement, said thus:

"I want you to take the power for the train and couple it onto the train on the adjacent track. This engineer is formerly a passenger engineer, and he is not comfortable handling a freight train, so when you give him car counts (distance to coupling the locomotive onto the train,) give him ninety-foot car lengths."

I had not met that engineer previously, but his name was Dave Sourwine, and he had been working in that terminal as engineer for several years.

What I was ordered to do was against explicit company policy. The rule from the CN safety rules covering coupling onto a train is: Car counts will be given to the engineer as fifty foot car lengths, no exceptions, the engineer will ensure that the speed of the movement is does not exceed four miles per hour at one hundred feet from coupling, coupling speed not to exceed one and one-half miles per hour.

I had just prior to this worked in a different terminal for five years. In this previous terminal all the engineers follow the correct procedure and it works beautifully. I was on probation and knew it.

Over the radio I told the engineer that I was giving him fifty-foot car lengths and ordered him to back up. As he was backing the movement the conductor interrupted me several times and the engineer stopped the movement. The conductor took over and made the connection.

When I walked up and climbed up on the engine I did not speak to the conductor. I felt that he should have known what was wrong. The engineer told me that he didn't want to work with me.

About seven days later, on the same job with the same train crew, we were homeward bound from the away-from-home terminal and the conductor booked rest en route eighteen miles from home. The company sent a taxi to take the conductor to a hotel. The CN supervisor came aboard, ordered me to take the train to final destination as conductor-in-charge. When the train stopped at the final terminal, he removed me from service.

I would not otherwise have been told what happened next, but when the company commissioned the neuro-psychological test they sent me a permission slip to authorize the test. I made it a condition of my permission that I be given a copy of the results of that test.

I was not given the copy. However, as the company ordered, I sought out and was under the care of a psychiatrist, who provided me with a copy.

On the report it said that the company supervisor who removed me from service reported that I could not follow instructions. If you think about it, that is a very serious charge.

My question for you is: In your field, if my report is complete and correct, did I do something wrong?

You may want to consider seeking legal counsel. You may have a case for discrimination based on a known and reported disability. You can also state that you were asked to do something that to your knowledge was against company policy. I believe this is a legal issue and the only thing mental health related is that the company may be retaliating against you and using your mental health diagnosis as a target.

Depending on the statute of limitations, you may want to consider filing an EEOC complaint.

Does that help?

Dr. A. Rene, Psychologist
Experience: 10 years of clinical experience with expertise in trauma related disorders.
Hi Larry,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going? Were you able to follow up with a lawyer regarding possible EEOC and/or discrimination charges with your job? Hope you are well and that you found my answer useful.

Sincerely,
Dr. A. Rene
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am Canadian. I think Equal Opportunities might be valid in the U. S.

With reservations, I have again engaged my union, the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference to represent my submission to the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

I have not been happy with the TCRC so far, because they gave the company everything the last two times that they represented me.

I have to hope that this time they will engage a lawyer to sort through the legal complications.

If I am not satisfied I will have to go after them and the company. Together I am sure they have a bigger budget.

My best to you in taking care of/showing up for you!
Dr. A. Rene, Psychologist