Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

my three year old with a mild form of Autism has been seeing

Customer Question

my three year old with a mild form of Autism has been seeing things for the past three nights. he wakes from his sleep screaming and kicking like something is under the cover with him. Then he is afraid that something is in the corners of the room. He is so scared that when I try to hold him, he scratches me an pulls my hair. He is a large three year old. He is very tall and 47lbs and it is difficult tussling with him to try to calm him down. I called his doctors office this morning and was told that she can't get him in to get a referral until 7/18/13. What to I do in the meantime. I have had four hours of sleep in the past three days. I had to call of work this morning and I can't keep calling off. Please point me in the right direction.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 1 year ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Autistic children often have violent temper tantrums caused by a multiplicity of triggers. There is something in his environment or recent experience that has caused him to be stressed. Perhaps it was a story he heard on TV or something disturbing on the news (such as a home invasion) or a ghost story of something else that has put fears into his mind.

In any event he feels that he is not in control of the situation and may not know how to ask for help since he is so small. He may also be very frustrated that others don’t immediately understand his concerns.

There may be things in the environment (pictures, paintings, statues, toys) that frighten him. It may be certain noises or odors as well. These types of stimuli, innocuous to others, can cause aggressive autism behaviors if he becomes agitated by them.

He is become extremely anxious to the point of having panic attacks, which are causing the rapid heartbeats, in all likelihood.

Sometimes reading a story before bedtime will help. Often, an autistic child who is hungry will bet irritable and manifest this kind of negative behavior. Giving him a snack of his choice may very well calm him down.

Never give him any caffeine or diet drinks or snacks with MSG. Get an MSG –free snack.

Sometimes simplifying his environment can help. Make it easier to get around rooms, keep surfaces clear, put smiley face pictures up, and make sure that his toothbrush is not too hard (strange as it sounds, this can provoke anxiety and negative behavior).

Giving him honey sweetened chamomile or catnip tea will help as well.

You are certainly very patient and must continue to be.

If you have a doctor that you can see sooner, and if these techniques I discussed to not help, then you can ask the doctor if he can recommend some mild medicine to help at bedtime.

Unfortunately, this behavior is part of autism. He is fortunate to have a loving and patient parent.

I wish you continued perseverance and shall keep you in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me add that the hallucinations that he has been seeing are common in extreme cases of anxiety and panic and are not indications of psychoses. Do not be concerned. Soothing music may also help to calm him.

Customer: I really appreciate your help. It's I'd not easy to see a child go through this. You helped to ease my mind a bit.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Thank you for your kind words. May I recommend some material that will help more. Here are the Amazon links to look at the material.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And one more book by Jed Baker:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

God bless your family,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Thank you so much, Tosha. May God look after your son and all of your family.

Warm regards,

Elliott