Dr. A. Rene
Dr. A. Rene, Psychologist
Experience:  10 years of clinical experience with expertise in trauma related disorders.
74737884

Im not sure if this would indicate that i have ADD/ADHD, but

Customer Question

Im not sure if this would indicate that i have ADD/ADHD, but ive basically been unable to focus on my homework at all at home, But i can at the college library... after a few hrs of trying to focus at the library that is. That is part of the reason why i cant focus on any of the curriculum during this summer semester i guess, since im stuck at home for the most part. Ive had this focusing issue in school for as long as i can remember. I was always zoning out and day dreaming in grade school, and almost always forgot my homework. i got better at remembering my homework, but by high school, i still forgot at least a couple of assignments every week, and was still day dreaming atleast 2 days a week. The only time i could really focus was during classes like art, and gym, and woodshop. Recently, i downloaded nba2k13 on my xbox. HUGE MISTAKE! Now, everytime i start to strain my brain a little with my math homework, i drop the math and i play 2k. some times i don't even make it to the laptop and i just play 2k, or make food, or just about anything to avoid the homework. I don't have this problem at work as a Cashier, which lead me to believe that i might be a little delusional in thinking that i have add, and also, nobody really even thought about this possibility until i thought of it the second week of summer courses. The only thing about the Clerk job is that i find it fun. i remember many times where i forgot to heed something that my parents told me, like the 6th week of the spring semester (i remember this because i wasn't able to type at home since my laptop was dead), my dad told me the previous day NOT to stay late at the campus like i had been doing earlier. He had the incorrect suspicion that i wasn't doing homework and playing ball, but was instead only playing at the campus. I did what i normally did the next week, went thru class, talked with friends, and since i took care of the homework for that day already, i decided to stay and play basketball. when i got home, dad was... mad, and kept asking me if i was trying to diss him or something, like he always does. fact of the matter, like so many other times, was that i just forgot.

Anywhooo, let me get to the point since im basically rambling here; It seems like i can't focus at all, and i am able to forget many items and info on a regular basis. The only place i can focus on anything school work related is in the school library. I can't do homework on this laptop in my room because i always end up somewhere random on the internet, no matter how hard i try, or i end up ditching the work to play games or listen to music. I will, more often than not, think about something, try to follow that thing up ( like looking something up on the www), and completly forget it the next moment. I don't know if im just weak willed, have a short term memory issue, both, or have add/adhd, but this whole thing basically gets me into a lot of trouble and i need to know where and how to start to fix it. I'd like to know if i even have the basis to say i may have add.

what do you think? aside from this question being too wordy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. A. Rene replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Adena V :

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid.” – Einstein

Dr. Adena V :

Based on the symptoms you describe, it is quite possible that you have ADHD/ADD. Have you consulted a doctor regarding your symptoms?

Customer:

I thought about asking my doctor before my last check up, argued with my self about it, and basically forgot about it until 2 days ago

Dr. Adena V :

It is very common for individuals struggling with adhd to engage in chronic procrastination in order to avoid tasks that require extended effort to focus... the library may be beneficial in that it provides less opportunity for distraction...

Dr. Adena V :

there are many online surveys you can take to check if you have the symptoms... it may be beneficial to complete one of these and then bring it with you to the doctor...

Dr. Adena V :

here is a link to one...

Dr. Adena V :

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/adultaddquiz.htm

Customer:

I actually took one about a day ago. not entirely sure about the site since i just googled it, but i scored in the range that would place me in the "medial" adhd possible diagnosis

Dr. Adena V :

When you say "I thought about asking my doctor before my last check up, argued with my self about it" what do you mean... what are you worried about?

Dr. Adena V :

In your mind, what is the worst thing that could happen if you brought it up?

Customer:

It was nothing really. i was more worried about whether it was really that important to ask or not at that point, seeing as i was living the same way basically for the entirerity of my life.

If i was really worried about this though, it would probably be because it sounded like i was making excuses for my lower grades and missing work in high school more than anything. I didn't like it coming off like that.

Customer:

I guess the idea of adderall didn't sit well with me either

Dr. Adena V :

There is nothing wrong with asking for help... and the worst thing that would happen is that you would get prescribed medication and it wouldn't really help...

Dr. Adena V :

There are different medications to try these days, and some of them aren't stimulants.

Dr. Adena V :

And just because you may need a little help to get through some of the more boring topics/classes you have to take for a college education, does not mean you will have to take medication the rest of your life... It can be seen as a tool to get you through the drudgery of some classes until you find yourself a career/opportunity that can engage your more creative mind

Customer:

I should be getting blood work done in the next couple weeks. can i ask my doctor then?

Dr. Adena V :

Definitely... just know that if you go with a non-stimulant, it will likely take 2-4 weeks to see any benefit from those medications...

Dr. Adena V :

With a stimulant, you would know within the first several days...

Customer:

Ok... and i just noticed something. that test you sent me to was the same test i actually took a couple days ago. I scored something like an 18 and 11.

Customer:

correction, i took the "Slightly longer" version of that test. same site though

Dr. Adena V :

I am guessing that you meet the criteria and would likely do very well on medication... do you have any mood issues?

Customer:

as in mood swings? not entirely. it really depends on how the day goes, but for the most part im pretty relaxed and laid back

Dr. Adena V :

Well my suggestion would be to talk to your doctor and see what they have to say and go from there... you are on the right track asking these questions for yourself and trying to get help!

Customer:

Alright! I'll definetly talk to my doctor about this. Thanks for the assist Adena!

Dr. A. Rene, Psychologist
Experience: 10 years of clinical experience with expertise in trauma related disorders.