Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

Can bullying cause mental illness? OKMH630100

Can bullying cause mental illness? My 9-year-old daughter developed mental illness at a time when she was being bullied at school. Could the bullying have caused the illness?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this sad and very concerning situation. Without doubt any negative or painful experience, even more those related to any form of abuse or neglect could easily case, trigger or worsen mental health disorders, from depression and anxiety disorders, to personality and psychotic issues.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

This is why no form of abuse should be tolerated under any circumstance at any setting, even less at an educational setting and against so vulnerable little children. School management and staff are all legally, ethically and professionally accountable for everything that happens to children at schools, and must take full responsibility for any incident and is consequences, and consistent action making necessary changes to end such serious issues and take good care of every student, specially those victims of abuse.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I hope you could read and reply when best for you.

I appreciate your reply, thank you. The Royal Courts of Justice agreed my daughter was bullied at school (transcribed judgement). But unfortunately there were no expert witnesses in court. Would you know of any such expert witnesses.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're welcome. It's very sad and frustrating to know this has happened, but I feel hopeful that competent and ethical psychotherapeutic support and the right legal advice would allow you to work on the best possible improvements for your child's rehabilitation process and well-being, as well as to take some consistent action for this not to happen again to any children.

Expert witnesses must be certified and licensed in your home state for them to be able to offer the support you require. Here are a few links of online directories of professionals in this area around the US. I truly hope it helps:

Thank you for your trust. Please feel free to contact me for any further support. I will continue to be here willing to support you as much as possible.