Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

My girlfriend cut her wrist intentionally late Thursday night.

My girlfriend cut her wrist intentionally late Thursday night. After being treated at the ER, they transferred her to Archbold Northside (a psychiatric facility in Georgia) on Friday morning at about 11:00 AM.

She seems to be doing well, and would like to go home tomorrow (Monday) at the end of this "72-hour" involuntary.

My question is: can they keep her longer than 72 hours?

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I'm very glad she's doing better. This is wonderful news. I've worked with the psychiatrists at the big psychiatric hospital in my city on a few cases and I've conferred with staff psychiatrists at other smaller psychiatric hospitals as well. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX following to be the case in all the psychiatric wards and hospitals:

The doctors there have no interest in keeping patients in the hospital longer than what is required. First, most psychiatric wards and hospitals are so busy that they don't have time to keep patients longer than the minimum required. Second, the treatment philosophy today is to minimize inpatient care and to create a treatment plan for outpatient maintenance and improvement.

So, if her condition is improved, meaning: if she is no longer actively suicidal and her mental status is in a functional range, and her mood is stable, and her affect is good, then they will want her to go home as much as she does.

I don't know specific Georgia law but in many states, California for example, there is a required 14 day hold if the patient is still actively suicidal that the doctors will use. Most states require hospital staff psychiatrists not to release a patient who is actively suicidal even if the 72 hours has passed even if there is no set "next stage" number of days like California.

But again, this is mandated by the state. Doctors want patients to go home. So, if she is doing better and is talking in more stable ways, then she should be coming home soon.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Follow up question: I just read online that in Goergia, weekends do NOT count as part of the "72-hour involuntary". So, does that mean, no matter how well she is doing, that she will actually have to stay until Wednesday? I also read that by law, they cannot shorten the "72 involuntary"

You're right. In most states weekends do not count as part of the 72 hours. I didn't know that in Georgia they are not allowed to discharge a patient early from a hold. If that's the law, then they would be bound by it.

The best way to find out if they have any leeway is to make them feel like she and you are both on their side. Remember: they have hospital examiners looking over their shoulders and the corporate office lawyers to contend with as well. So, if you want them to do something that might put themselves out on a limb, you need to be on their sides, because you're asking them to be on your sides.

So, make sure she knows to be friendly and to be appreciative of everything they're doing for her. And if you are both taking that stance, then if they do have any leeway in terms of letting her go home before Wednesday, that will give you the best chance of getting them to sign her discharge.'

I wish you the very best!